Thread: wax cup size

Hybrid View

Question

I raised quite a few queens last year after going to the class in Ohio. The problem is I used their molds for my cups. I am going to make my own wax cups to graft to. I read to use a 3/8 inch dowl and start at 3/4 inch up and form a mold to dip into the wax. Does it matter how round and what size this comes to? If you have a plan or guild please let me know.

I use plastic cups, with there holders. I think they are more uniform, but making my own will be something I try this year. The way I understand it, is you make the dowel rounded, but not to a point. I would say, round no more than a 16th inch bevel around the end. That is what the plastic ones look like. I don't know, the last time I grafted, I got 80%+ acceptance.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Dale

What kind of Plastic ones did you use and where did you get them from?

thanks
    Phillip

I got mine from ann Lake. You get 110 for $5. The holders are more, but you can use them over and over. The cups you have to throw away. I guess you can clean them, but for 5 bucks for 100, I won't go thru the trouble.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Ive used a large pencil with the tip broke off as a wax dipping form and had no problem with acceptance.