Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

whats the best/easiest queen raising kit?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Hook 
#1 ·
I just have seven hives and wanted some opinions on different kits,to raise my own queens for the first time.Ease of use,success rate etc...thanks...JOHN

#5 ·
Dee,Yes I was thinking of making my own queen rearing kit,since I build most of my bee equipment from scratch.Know of any good plans on the net or elsewhere?It would be a good winter project to do ,maybe for next summer.I'm all for saving money If I can build it...thanks JOHN

#7 ·
you said>> just have seven hives and wanted some opinions on different kits,to raise my own queens for the first time.Ease of use,success rate etc...thanks...JOHN
I built a standard frame for a deep foundation, the added a grid to it, with holes drilled in it a hair smaller than queen cups. Then I covered it with wire mesh, #5 think, bit as long as the bees can get in and queen not out. Put the queen in there for a day. Then wait for the 4th day, and transfer them to a cell bar. I used the bases, and holders from Mann Lake. Then crowd a nuc, and I mean crowd it, and feed one day before you transfer the cups. Then you are supposed to get queen cells. Mine never worked right, so I just practiced grafting. I've heard that the bees move the larvae or discard them for some reason. I get better acceptance grafting though. All I can say is try it!

------------------
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA

#8 ·
Jim said..

Read "Contemporary Queen Rearing" by H.H. Laidlaw. There are several "non-grafting" methods for the small time queen rearing beekeeper.
Jim

I got "Rearing Queen Honey Bees" from Roger Morse, and it tells you what you need to know, but if you go to the links, David Cushman has a website, and it helps out too. If you use Google to search, search "Queen Rearing" and alot of sites come up. I took what I needed and left the rest!

------------------
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.