Hybrid View

Question

I just have seven hives and wanted some opinions on different kits,to raise my own queens for the first time.Ease of use,success rate etc...thanks...JOHN

John:

You thinking of buying a kit, which can be expensive for only having a few colonies, or thinking of making your own, which is very inexpensive, and probably the easiest way to go.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

John:

You thinking of buying a kit, which can be expensive for only having a few colonies, or thinking of making your own, which is very inexpensive, and probably the easiest way to go.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

Read "Contemporary Queen Rearing" by H.H. Laidlaw. There are several "non-grafting" methods for the small time queen rearing beekeeper.

Jim

Dee,Yes I was thinking of making my own queen rearing kit,since I build most of my bee equipment from scratch.Know of any good plans on the net or elsewhere?It would be a good winter project to do ,maybe for next summer.I'm all for saving money If I can build it...thanks JOHN

This is to let you know that Dee A. Lusby is out of the area right now for the Alabama State Beekeepers meeting 21-22 Sep and will return after 26 Sep.

Lectures to focus on keeping bees on small cell foundation without using various treatments.

you said>> just have seven hives and wanted some opinions on different kits,to raise my own queens for the first time.Ease of use,success rate etc...thanks...JOHN
    I built a standard frame for a deep foundation, the added a grid to it, with holes drilled in it a hair smaller than queen cups. Then I covered it with wire mesh, #5 think, bit as long as the bees can get in and queen not out. Put the queen in there for a day. Then wait for the 4th day, and transfer them to a cell bar. I used the bases, and holders from Mann Lake. Then crowd a nuc, and I mean crowd it, and feed one day before you transfer the cups. Then you are supposed to get queen cells. Mine never worked right, so I just practiced grafting. I've heard that the bees move the larvae or discard them for some reason. I get better acceptance grafting though. All I can say is try it!

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Jim said..

Read "Contemporary Queen Rearing" by H.H. Laidlaw. There are several "non-grafting" methods for the small time queen rearing beekeeper.
    Jim

I got "Rearing Queen Honey Bees" from Roger Morse, and it tells you what you need to know, but if you go to the links, David Cushman has a website, and it helps out too. If you use Google to search, search "Queen Rearing" and alot of sites come up. I took what I needed and left the rest!

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA