Hybrid View

I purchased two queens from a local beekeeper one was yellow like I used them to see but another one was darker, almost brown. What is the difference between these two queens? Are they different race?

Thanks, Andrey.

Andrey

You wrote:
    I purchased two queens from a local beekeeper one was yellow like I used them to see but another one was darker, almost brown. What is the difference between these two queens? Are they different race?

Reply:
    Yes and no. Bees have a spectrum of color, mongrels especially as once mixed they range from yellow to black.

Bees follow plant genetics in breeding, so if you mix a yellow with a black strain/race, you would end up with some yellow, some black and some inbetween.

Similar to what is called Italians which are originally from a true mixing hybridization area in Nature in the Mediterranean of lower Italy.

So you can have yellow to middle range brownish/leather color to black range. but the darker of your two colors would be a more middle ground.

For more information on this, pull up "Mendel" under search engines on the internet.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

Question

Is it true that darker one may have batter acceptance?