Hybrid View

I have four hives, one of them is from a swarm that I cought last April. The other two are packages that I bought last September, and the forth is also a package bought couple of weeks ago.

The three packages are carniolans where as the swarm is "local". I do not know the scientific name but here they call it local. Its size is smaller , very active and weather tolerant but slow in collecting honey may be due to its short tongue ( as they say).

The problem I have is that the two packages last September are becoming weak with very little scattered brood. It seems that they sold me an old bee with the package. The local are active and have a fair brood look. And I can not judge the package bought recently yet, (bought from same source I bought last September packages).

My question is that as I want to re-queen the two weak carniolans colonies, which colony to be used for breeding and which one to use for cell building and which one for mating?

If I will use the weak colonies for breeding or cell building , I am not sure if I will have a good breed or good feeding.

Moreover, I can not tell how good the recent colony queen i order to use it for breeding.

Finally, I can not use the local colony for breeding because I do not want this strain.

Can anyone help in an advise?

Thanks

Saeed

Saeed

you wrote:
    The three packages are carniolans where as the swarm is "local". I do not know the scientific name but here they call it local. Its size is smaller , very active and weather tolerant but slow in collecting honey may be due to its short tongue ( as they say).

My question is that as I want to re-queen the two weak carniolans colonies, which colony to be used for breeding and which one to use for cell building and which one for mating?

If I will use the weak colonies for breeding or cell building , I am not sure if I will have a good breed or good feeding.

Moreover, I can not tell how good the recent colony queen i order to use it for breeding.

Finally, I can not use the local colony for breeding because I do not want this strain.

Reply:
    The local colony is the one best acclimitized for your area and doing the best.

You cannot use the weak colonies, and the new one is of the same linage as the weak ones.

Why do you not want to breed from the local one? Because you said it is slow in collecting honey? This could be because it is at a disadvantage now with a small bee (assuming I understand you right with the bees smaller in size) on too big of combs, which will not allow it to build up properly.

If survivorship is to be a judge from your remarks I would say and hope you have by now used the local colony and grafted from it for cells and also used it for cell building back to itself.

regards,

Dee A. Lusby