Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

sqkcrk: the one hive I lost due so suspected CCD was in Clinton, NC. Maybe you're on to something!
    Triangle Bees

>Mike, what would you do if the bees in question, in NY, were in Clinton County?

Well, I guess they were. I mean, the Souza yard is less than a mile from Chazy Orchards. DH had bees there...only 100 or so. So, what am I going to do?

Try not to worry. Keep my eyes open, and take bunches of notes on weak/dead colonies.

Most importantly...

Keep on the sunny side
    Always on the sunny side
    Keep on the sunny side of life."

Enjoy the weather down there in SC. Bees had a brief poop yesterday.

ok guys here is the latest. It seems a pesticide(Idont know how to spell it..or even prounce it for that matter) but is is something like nicodertime in part of the name. I'm sure someone on here can get correct name. It is used to coat seeds(corn cotton) on lawns, golf courses, and tree sprays. It is systemic. Evidently it weakens the bees imune system and a fungus is the final killer. This chemical has already been banned in France....(same results)The chemical companies have already went to Penn St. and tried to get them to back off. Lots of money and profits to be lost here by chemical companies which is all they care about. This spray may be being used in almonds now....as lots of bees are dieing.

Oh my. Where'd you get this information Sutton?

[size="1"][ February 24, 2007, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: George Fergusson ][/size]
    Dulcius ex asperis

It is from research that Penn st is doing

It is from research that Penn st is doing

So, we are talking about Imadocloprid (I think this is the correct spelling) topped off with some fungus? Do they know which one?

Imadocloprid is being used here as a spray for aphids on the blueberries.

Jean-Marc

NC Beeman Guest

Can you tell us who, at Penn State, can confirm this?

Well, this CCD is in the fraservalley. i've lost 50% of my hives though not all of the hives died off due to CCD. but i would say that 80% of those that did die was from CCD.

It had me baffled because these hives were large double broodnest hives coming into the winter, they were treated for mites with formic and a finisher with oxalic. i though that maybe my hives died off either because of the mites, the treatments, or someone stole them because there were no dead bees to be found in or out of the hive. i was unaware of CCD until just recently but just by the symptoms that are described as CCD, well, thats what happened to me. the thing is that with other beeks in the same area as me have had no effects of this CCD. Go figure.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Yes, systemic nicotinamide compounds are currently high on the list of CCD causes. This was also an unproven cause of similar problems in France. Just a disclaimer: I am not working in entomolgy or extension here at Penn State but I do ask a lot of questions.

[size="1"][ February 24, 2007, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Aspera ][/size]

If this information has even a sniff of being true look out. They had tremendous problems with this stuff in Canada & France I believe in the last 6 or 7 years. I believe it was used as some type of cut worm or grub treatment on potato ground. This chemical will still be found in the ground some 3 or 4 years after the application. It has been shown to then be transfered the following years thru the root system & into the pollen of any blooming plant that is grown on this treated ground for years to come. This chemical is in the last couple of years being used for lawn grub control. Also saw that in the last 2 years that seed corn seed is treated with it while looking at the stacks of seed corn at my cousins place in the spring. I had in the back of my mind thinking about this chemical crap hoping it was not the cause of the problems. Let's hope it is not the smoking gun!!!!!!!!

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/imidaclo.htm
    There was a lot of info and discussion on BEE L about this and its effects on bees-should be in the archives. I don't know if anything was ever proven as to whether this was the culprit.

>Imadocloprid

If it turns out that this is the root cause of CCD there will be hell to pay. It's proven nasty stuff in any case and if it's not causing the current problem, it is certainly just a matter of time before it's implicated in future problems.

I can't believe what we do to ourselves.
    Dulcius ex asperis

I just found this:
    http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news....ry=Environment
    Has an interview with Dave H.

That's a good link Loggermike.
    Dulcius ex asperis

It does sound like DH suspects imidacloprid poisoning.

nicotinamide is whaqt I was referring to. From what I've been told every new clue makes the picture more clear.....keeps pointing more and
    more to nicotinamide! THis weakens the bees imune system and then the fungus finishes them off. The fungus is why the hives arent usually robbed out for 3 weeks or so! These chemical companies have deep pockets!!!! Gonna be a fight!

>> Oh my. Where'd you get this information Sutton?

> It is from research that Penn st is doing

OK, so when I call Penn State on Monday,
    who do I ask for?

Diana Cox-Foster, Maryann Frazier, David Geiser,
    Nancy Ostiguy, or Dennis vanEngelsdorp?

if this indeed is the problem, what can be done? is there anything we can do for our hives in the short term? what are the chances of getting this pesticide banned?

Imidacloprid was one of the early systemic Neonicotinoids widely used.This was the one banned in France. There are other newer ones.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PI117
    (by the way ,I cant spell these things without cut and paste, let alone pronounce them without spitting beer on the keyboard )

[size="1"][ February 24, 2007, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: loggermike ][/size]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast