Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Australia has been in the nutrition business for awhile. They have a form of disappearing disease the call "Muck." One of the top bee-researchers in the world is Denis Anderson. He came to the last EAS meeting. The following is a citation from my article on CCD coming out in April ABJ.

"Nutrition:
    Denis Anderson 1997, Australia (AU) http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/HBE/04-152.pdf “These results suggest that disappearing disorder may result from unusually high levels of trace elements in pollen and nectar collected by colonies in the affected areas. Further studies are needed to determine which trace elements might be responsible.” In 2001 there was a study in AU that concluded that poor acid soil either harbored a pathogen or didn’t put nourishment in the pollen. Bees were helped by trapping OUT the pollen and feeding supplements. Improvements were seen when Pollen was trapped OUT of the hive and supplements were fed. (As far as I know Denis doesn’t know of our troubles. I just thought these citations were tantalizing.)

I wrote to Denis but may have had a bad address.

Dickm

Thanks dickm, that's one of the more useful pieces of information anyone has shared yet. Unfortunately I couldn't get the link to open. Working in a lab that studies human iron deficiency/overload, I can definitely see how trace metals might mimic pesticide damage. For instance, iron, mangenese and rotenone have all been separately implicated in Parkinson's disease and the damage might not be immediately apparent at the time of intoxication.

I live in Danbury, CT, once known as the "hat city of the world." As you may know "mad as a hatter" refers to the jittery syndrome that comes from the nerve damage done by the arsenic ?used in that industry. It was common. I got the link to work.

Dickm

Was it arsenic? I was thinking it was mercury used in the production of felt.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Yeah, it was mercury in the hats.

The arsenic was used with the old lace! [img]smile.gif[/img]

"I only wish I could locate a study as good as the aussies produced, detailing pollen sources and relationship between bees health for bees in the states."

It would be nice to see data on the protein content of our commonly available pollen. Is there something that simply lists the percentage components of US pollen?
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Coyote,
    Isn't that what I was saying? Just in a more beat around the bush, indirect, tongue twisting adventure, butchering of the english langauge kind of thing..

"Isn't that what I was saying?"

Probably. I'm watching the race, and my half of a brain cell is pretty much stretched to the limit.
    Seems like this kind of data would be tucked away somewhere just waiting for us to find it. Anyone know how sophisticated the analysis is to identify the makeup of local pollens? That would be really helpful if beeks could gather samples from a pollen trap on their hives and run a test to figure out which ones are good and which ones may indicate the need to supplement.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

It's that salt brine stuff they spray on the roads!!
    Thanks for your time, Beehopper

Someone had mentioned that a few years back, someone by the name Erik Erriksson (not sure the spelling) had a paper called something like "Stress and the Honey Bee" They said it may of been posted on beesource, but not sure.

Anyone know who Erik was or have a link to his writings on stress with bees?

Thanks Jim. I had briefly scanned the POV section, but did not realize there was another complete list under the USDA site, and missed it.

Keith, any chance of seeing a picture of your pollen/protein mixing set up?
    JBJ
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com