I have found sign of wax moths in some used equipment I recently purchased. There is no comb, just supers, frames and hive bodies.

I am washing all equipment in very hot water with a generous application of Oxyclean. I've seen what this stuff can do to organic matter- essentially it disolves it, and I've used it before on a super I was given that needed cleaning badly without any harmful effect on the bees.

After using it and soaking the equipment in it, I rinse it well and let it dry. I think this will kill any wax moths or eggs remaining before winter storage. I want to bag these supers in plastic garbage bags and store then in an unheated garage for winter, but have read they are best left to air.

Does anyone have experience with this? What is suggested? I do not want to treat this equipment with chemicals as I am trying to keep bees organically.

Thanks
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Freezing will kill any wax moth eggs. I have no idea of washing will help at all. The supers aren't a problem. Comb is the only problem.

If you want to protect wood from them, don't put wax in them. [img]smile.gif[/img] If you want to protect combs, use Bt (Certan) on the combs. The equipment doesn't need any protection from wax moths if there's no wax for them to eat.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Can't eggs still be on the woodenware? Or do they lay only in comb?

Still, these hives and supers were filthy. Maybe cleaning them will leave more time for the bees to make honey & comb. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also, inside of hives were scorched to kill moths by previous owner. I've cleaned/scraped as much of this out as I can. Will the bees use/take to this hive anyway?

Usually the insides of hives are scorched to get rid of American FoulBrood Spores!! I would not use those hive bodies or supers!! I would burn them all JMHO.
    It is what it is.

I'll ask the fellow who sold them to me. He didn't mention AFB.

Thanks so much,

Ginger

[size="1"][ September 28, 2006, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Gingerbee ][/size]

>Can't eggs still be on the woodenware? Or do they lay only in comb?

Mostly wax moths eggs are in wax, not on the wood. One hard freeze will kill the eggs.

I've never seen anyone scorch boxes for wax moths. Just AFB.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've seen wax moths laying eggs on the boxes; the newly hatched larvae can find their way in where the adults can't. But #I wouldn't scorch hives to get rid of then, I'd use Certan. I bet they were scorched due to foulbrood; whether you want to use them is up to you. Some say they're OK after a good scorching, others don't agree.
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK