Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

wasps and yellow jackets in hives

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  YooperBee 
#1 ·
This is our first year beekeeping, have 4 hives. One is a very late bloomer, only about 2/3rds as many bees as the other 3. I have been noticing alot of yellow jackets (YJ) coming in and out of the hive. Last time I smoked hive for opening, probably 50 YJ made a hasty exit. I opened things up and did not see any evidence of a YJ nest starting. I put in an entrance reducer to 4.5" X 3/8" and watched the bees better controlling access, but don't want to slow the bees in their hive buildup which I believe is critical to their survival in the Upper Peninsula winter. Comments?

#2 ·
Swap the weak hive location with another stronger hive.

The yj start very early in the morning. They will be active sooner than the bees. Close up the hive for the first hour in the morining. The YJ may move on to easier pickings. By the time the hive is opened, the bees will be more active and perhaps more in the mood to confront the yj's.

#3 ·
I'm gunshy when it comes to YJ's having lost 4 of 6 hives in my 2nd year because of their attacks in concert with baldfaced hornets. I think robber screens are the only way to go in a situation like this. I don't believe that either an entrance reducer or a robber screen will slow the hive's buildup.

#4 ·
Thanks Bjorn and Tia, I will try the early AM attack method and continue with reducer in the late AM and again in the evening. This hive is stationed at our home, away about a mile from the other three so moving probably isn't a good idea. "2 feet or 2 miles"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.