I checked my best hive today.
    I have not treated this hive
    for 7 weeks or so due to anticipated honey harvest.
    I have not cleaned the bottom board for about the same amount of time. Two week Mite count on July 15 was 6.
    I pulled the SBB (white cardboard) and used my magnifying glass and good reading glasses and found 40 -50 mites in the thick debris...that is an 8 week count. I have not treated for a few months due to honey. I fogged in May, June and early july. I have nearly no mites in the other two hives where i fogged a few more times in Aug and Sept. Do i have a major mite issue here??

i was under the impression that 40-50 mites a DAY represented a problem (threshold for treatment.) you're talking about an average drop of about 1 mite per 24 hours - granted, i'm new at this, but that sounds excellent to me.

Get a sample jar, and do a mite sample.

Windsheld fluid works great, strain through a wire mesh, and then the liquid thorugh a kleanex. Count the mites over the number of bees in your sample.

Our thresholds are 1% in spring, 5% in fall.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Updates:
    The hive I referred to above is what i call Hive # 1 I did a 24 hour check of the bottom board today. Wow!!!! 14 +-mites in one day !! Is that
    trouble? I have honey supers on. Will remove any day now but I am going to do the Food Grade Mineral oil fogging immediately, then I'll add the Thymol fogging when i pull the supers off.
    I am not sure that is enough.

By percent you mean # of mites as percentage of # of bees Correct ?

Hive #2 four day mite drop on the bottom board is 15+-

Hive #3 four day mite drop on the BB is 25+

In hive three i frooze three honey frames with wax moth holes in the wax and foundation.

Are my bees doomed or what ????

Forgot to asdd: I thought i had no mites in hive 2 and 3. I started this thread before I did the four day check of the bot board. Guess i was wrong.

I cant relate to mite drop, for dont monitor my infestations in that manner. The most efficient and accurate method is a mite roll, or wash.
    take a sample, wash off the mites and count mites / bee in the sample.

Any rate, continue your monitoring during your FGMO treatments. Then consider if it was worth your while.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

jamiev . . .

This time of year, w/ lots of pollen collection and other hive debris falling, it's very hard to see (and count) mites if the sticky board if left in place longer than 3 days (maybe 4 days [img]smile.gif[/img] )

If you have an average 24hr count (3 days divided by 3) of 15 or 20 this time of year, you dont have a mite problem NOW (maybe next year).

A stick board under a screen bottom board is the most sensitive (most effective [http://nanaimo.ark.com/~varipm.htm]) and accurate than any other method if used over a sufficient time period [Ref 16, p163].

UPDATE
    Hive 1 100 bee sugar roll - 9 mites
    Now what? I am pulling uncapped honey then fogging with fgmo and thymol I will treat with pow sugar also. What else? I do not want to lose the hive It is loaded with bees. Lots of capped brood on probably loaded with mites right? HELP !!!

UPDATE
    Hive 1 100 bee sugar roll - 9 mites
    Now what? I am pulling uncapped honey then fogging with fgmo and thymol I will treat with pow sugar also. What else? I do not want to lose the hive It is loaded with bees. Lots of capped brood on probably loaded with mites right? HELP !!!

sorry

Jamiev:

You are above the threshold of 4 mites per 100. (Ian says 5) At any rate you have at least 9 according to your sugar roll test. Sugar rolls do not dislodge all the mites, that is why I say at least 9. You are right in saying there are many more mites in the capped brood. I would use Mite-Away II immediately.

Jean-Marc

thanks jean marc

what about Oxalic acid ? and, where can i get some?

I bought mine at Ace Hardware.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF