Hi, thought I should report on this. A couple of weeks ago, when we did our mite counts and one hive had a higher count (20/24 hours), we put a few frames of empty drone comb (drawn out) in the brood nest, in the 3 and 5 spot.
When we treated our hives the other day, I removed them and they were filled with honey. The queen is still laying, but she totally ignored the drone comb. We still have drones, they haven't been evicted yet. Some of our members at higher elevations are reported piles of dead drones outside their hives. So may be we are too close to the end of season. I'm wondering how long you can successfully use drone comb to trap mites. Obviously, not in August for us.
In the past, I've only used drone comb in the spring. It was easy to monitor as we were going in every 10 days to remove queen cells and reverse our brood boxes. Next year we are going to use Walt's Nectar Management and will not be so invasive. Not sure how I will fit the drone comb in.