I'm building a bunch of 4way pallets with screened bottom boards that I can slid sticky boards under. I've never owned one before. Does it matter how close the sticky board is to the screened bottom board? Against it, 1/8", 1"? I imagine against it wouldn't work but I would think just about any other small distance would work. Suggestions? Thanx.

Rob
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Hi Rob, I would make the space at least 3/4" between the screen and the sticky board if you are planning to leave them in all winter or all the time. If you leave them in, the debris builds up and can reach the screen if the space is too narrow and the mites just walk right back in. That happened to us years ago on our first SBB and we actually had a hive collaspe from varroa.
    Also, if you use Powdered Sugar for treating your hives, you need that space to pull the sugar out.
    If you are just using the sticky boards for monitoring and then leaving them out the rest of the year and you were not going to use powdered sugar, you would probably be fine with a small gap. You would not want your sticky boards to be right against the screen. You would scrape your mite samples off while you pull them out.
    Janet

[size="1"][ September 09, 2006, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: 2rubes ][/size]

3/4" seems to be about standard for space between the screen and a tray, but if it's literal sticky board, the mites shouldn't be able to wander off. The Varra are pretty mobile, though, and 3/4" is a much better distance if you just have a tray but it's not sticky.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

To ensure virtually no fallen mites are able to re-enter colony, distance from sticky-board to mesh should be at least 2” [http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pest-...es/control.htm – p61 Accessed 8/1/05].
    • Screened area should be as large as possible (same size as inside of hive body [ABJ, 9/06, p738]). It is important NOT to reduce the size of sticky-board (for instance, to half size), some of the mites will not be collected and this will give a false impression of the number of mites in the hive [http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests...es/control.htm – p38, Accessed 8/1/05].

A 3/4" OPENING or larger is needed for SB/tray to slide into. The back of my plywood "pull-out" has a 3/4 x 3/4 "lip" (w knob) to close off this space when tray is in place.

If you have a 2" space between the tray and screen, but only narrow slot for tray to side through, sugar and mites will be "dragged off" [img]smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ September 09, 2006, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Dave W ][/size]

Thanx guys you've been VERY helpful. The sticky board will be used almost exclusively for mite drop counts and will be indeed sticky. I'll probably use Dave W's suggestion of clear contact paper. After I pull it out I'll stick white paper with a grid on it and count the mites at my leisure - think that will work Dave?

I think I'll be able to get almost 3/4". Since I move my pallets with a forklift, I can't use trays that hang below the bottom of the bottom boards. If I use 3/4" plywood for my bottoms (which the screen will sit on top of) and very thin sticky boards (to slid in the where the bottom is cutout) I'll probably be in at about 5/8" or so below the screen - but the sticky boards will be sticky so no mites should be crawling away.

Thanks again,
    Rob
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

pahvantpiper . . .

>think that will work Dave?
    Sounds good!

Before I remove the backing paper from the contact paper, I use a pen and write Hive #, Date IN. After the drop, I place a piece of 8-1/2 x 11 white paper (w/ preprinted grid - helps w counting) over HALF of the contact paper, then carefully fold the sticky sides together. BEFORE removing, write Date OUT.

Later, mites can be counted on each side of the white paper.

Works great! [img]smile.gif[/img]