Thread: tracheal mite

Hi,

Will peppermint oil added to my sugar syrup help with tracheal mite

Thanks

Tony

Not that I know of. But a good queen will solve the problem.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Tracheal mites tolerance is very well established in many populations of bees now. As Michael said above, the key to controlling them is to requeen. Just be sure to use tolerant stock.

Fusion

Any suggestions on were to look for this kind of queens.

Ask the breeders if they treat for tracheal mites. Or, better, if they breed for tracheal mite resistance. If you just quit treating and buy some different queens when you find it eventually you'll get some resistance. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I never treat mine for tracheal mites.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueens.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the replies,

Three hives that I bought back from a 100-acre borage field are showing signs of wings sprayed out,
    There were 50 or so hives on the same field but I never did meet the other beekeeper, I thought that I might of bought back the mites with me coz I have not noticed more than one or two here and there before.

There is no sign of any with the two buckfast x cecropia queens that I bought at the beginning of the year, maybe I will re-queen my other five hives next year with buck x cec, I will have to see how they winter.

Thanks

Tony

>There is no sign of any with the two buckfast x cecropia queens

That makes sense, of course, since Brother Adam's original goal was to breed the Buckfast for tracheal mite resistance.

Hi Tony
    As a general rule we have very few problems with tracheal mites in the Uk. Why this should be I don't Know but very few winter deaths are caused by this and I know of few that think it's even worth taking preventative steps, unless you are aware of a problem before Winter.

Regards Ian

Tony,

Have you considered the fact that Borage is a very harsh plant and could be responsible for your bees condition, you may find that as these bees are replaced things improve.Take a look at this
    http://www.ncbka.org.uk/Commercial%20Bee%20Farming.htm

thanks for the link,

That does make sence,

Tony