Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I don't own a west trap, only seen one once. Seems I read on the forum somewhere about a problem with rain water sometimes getting in the trap and overflowing it. Anyone experience this???
    sc-bee

I like the sealed off cookie sheet idea. To avoid the leveling problem maybe fill it with Diatomaetuous Earth instead of oil or a slurry/gel mix of FGMO and DE (like quicksand) or something that attracts SHB.

If we could get a friendly spider to move in a fill the whole area with web, that might work. Maybe some of the materials engineers out there can invent a bug velcro?
    Triangle Bees

If anyone's interested I will post some pictures and plans. The main downside I have noticed is it is hard to make mite counts. I will probably do sugar rolls to make mite counts. I have thought about using diatomatous earth instead of oil, but I wasn't sure it it would kill the beetles and mites. I haven't had any problems with water getting into the trap so far. I would think it would be hard for that much water to enter a hive unless it had a hole in the top.

[size="1"][ September 26, 2006, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Janice Lane ][/size]

I'd like to see what it looks like Janice [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

From my limited experience, I still think SHB won't bring down a strong hive. However, I have had a couple hives go queenless and get weak to the point where some wax moth damage was evident. I still never saw more than 5 or 6 adult beetles and no larva in the hives. I'm starting to think the fire ants have something to do with it. Once while requeening, I dropped the queen I killed. In less than 30 seconds, she was covered in ants. I'm convinced that any SHB larva that come out of the hive are doomed within seconds of hitting the ground. I wouldn't wish fire ants on anyone, but maybe they do actually serve a purpose.

SHB absolutely love pollen patties. The one time I tried using patties, not only did it attract every beetle in the hive, but they were all paired up in the mating position. Given that, I would think some very simple homemade traps could be devised that use a miniature pollen patty for bait and surround it with Tanglefoot to trap the beetles kind of like the Roach Motel. I'll have to add that to my project list.

Also, a blunt pencil works very well for killing beetles hiding in cells.

There is research being done now on a bait for a trap---but will it attract everyone else's problems???
    sc-bee

>I would think some very simple homemade traps could be devised that use a miniature pollen patty for bait and surround it with Tanglefoot to trap the beetles kind of like the Roach Motel.

So much for that idea. Dr. Hood spoke at the GA Beekeepers conference this weekend and said some of their first attempts at SHB traps used Tanglefoot. The adult SHB could actually walk through it! It obviously slowed them down, but it didn't stop them.

They eventually moved on to the current Hood beetle trap that uses cider vinegar as the attractant and mineral oil to keep the beetles from walking out of the trap.

The USDA is working on a SHB attractant now that is made from a yeast that is created by the SHB larva. No one's sure just yet how well it's going to work.

One concern about an attractant is: Will you be luring SHB to your hive by using an attractant. Similar to luring Japanese Bettle to a trap in your yard.
    sc-bee

Dr. Hood spoke at the GA Beekeepers conference this weekend and said some of their first attempts at SHB traps used Tanglefoot. The adult SHB could actually walk through it!
    I wonder how flypaper would work? I only had SHB in one hive last year so I canÂ’t test it.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

GaSteve,
    I agree that SHB will not bring down a strong hive.

For those on the list which have not yet seen SHB, larva or a slimed hive consider what I am about to say.

Also researchers want funds to study everything and document everything. One needs to read between the lines.

A couple people are going to meetings around the country with "gloom & doom" about SHB.

What I have observed after eight years looking at SHB in hives.

1. in areas of SHb they can be found in most hives but cause no real problem and DO NOT lay eggs.

2. In those areas they will lay eggs and slim a queenless hive or weak hive BUT ONLY at the time of year they are trying to reproduce. EXACTLY LIKE THE WAX MOTH DOES.

In my operation we are lax about dealing with weak hives until I get wax moth in my bait hive. Then I drop what ever I am doing and get all deadouts picked up and weak hives combined.

Two of my friends which are dealing with SHB say the same method works for SHB.

Its almost like a big switch has been turned on and all the SHB decide they have only got a couple weeks to lay eggs.

Strong hives trumps traps & lures in my opinion!
    Bob Harrison

Very well put ROB!!!
    sc-bee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123