Question

After loosing my hive to the Mites this winter and loosing my new hive to a bear this summer I now find what I think is the SHB. It's dark colored like a ladybug and fly's. I killed about 25 or so at different levels of the hive, mostly on the top inner cover. I have checked for mites and only found one on the sticky board at the bottom of the hive. I did find small white larve on the sticky board which concerns me I'm not sure what they are they are very tiny and can only see them with a loupe. I ordered a west trap just in case. The hive seems strong and with good numbers. I have taken about 10 lbs of honey about two weeks ago but don't see any new capped honey. Can anyone tell me what my next step should be. I plan on taking care of the mites this fall. Thanks

The West hive trap works well, if the hive is strong and the beetles haven't laid a lot of eggs you should be okay. Just keep a sharp eye out for any signs of larva. I.E. slimy comb, bad smell coming from hive. Because the bees will leave if it gets too bad. I know i watch a hive of mine leave one afternoon for parts unknown because of the SHB. The trap should work, I have them on all of my hives. Good luck
    An empty wagon rattles the loudest.

There are many small beetles which will look similar to the AHB that can be found in the hive, many are smaller than AHB--such as sap beetles. Vermont is not exactly a hotbed for AHB. If you are finding a few beetle larvae on your sticky board, there is a pretty good chance these are just opportunists looking for some free pollen and misc. hive trash. AHB larvae would be more likely if you found them in the corners of your frames . . . I'd call your county inspector before you buy all kinds of stuff for something you may not have. Lazy Bee - Bee Craft & Supply
    Quality Beekeeping Supplies & More! http://www.lazybeestudio.com
    Toll Free: (866) LAZY-BEE

Darn Acronyms. Of course I meant SHB not AHB.

Anyhow, hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about!
    Quality Beekeeping Supplies & More! http://www.lazybeestudio.com
    Toll Free: (866) LAZY-BEE

So far, I've had great success with the West trap. As my hives are getting taller and taller, I'm debating on puttin in the other traps in the upper stories. With prompting from folks here, I'm currently using Diatomaceous Earth in the West trap. I'm excited that it's cheaper, easier to handle, and hopefully just as successful. The traps have been in for a week, so we'll see.

My prior sucess has been in using the traps with oil for a year. Very successful.

In order to do as much as possible, I've also spread plastic mats under the hives to keep any escapees from reaching soil to mature.

Waya
    WayaCoyote