I have 2 hives full of wax worm and bees. How do I transfer the bees to a new, clean hive without getting any of the wax worms?

You've got other options besides transfering, like reducing the size of the hive to congest the bees into an area they can better manage.

As for transfering, that I'll have to think on. It's late in the year for forcing a restart on empty frames. Depending on the contents of the frames, you could take out a couple, freeze them over night, and rotate for a couple more. The only ones you can't freeze are the ones with brood. That might kill them down to a level the bees could manage.

I should mention that a lot of beeks phylosophise that too many moths means something else is wrong like disease. So you hopefully are looking for why the hive isn't able to manage their space. Are they ill, weak, infected with varroa, etc? Else, you'll end up back where you are.

I'll add my own distressing observation of today: while switching Bottom boards to install a west SHB trap, I watched a moth running back into the hive. I tried to smash her, but she dodged me well. Her movements reminded me of those sheep dogs who run on top of the sheep. She was running all over the bees without them paying her any mind. Frustrating how they can get a hive to accept them... masked scents is it?

Waya
    WayaCoyote

I believe it is also too late to start the bees on new comb. If I can transfer them I would add them to a nuc or existing hive.

I would likely do a modification of wayacoyote strategy. I would pull all the unaffected comb (especially brood and eggs) and combine over a strong hive using a queen excluder and news paper. when I do this I put the paper down first, then the queen excluder and then slit the paper in a couple of places with my hive tool (down thru the excluder and between the top bars). Freeze (usually for at least 24 hours) the comb that look salvagable. even if you have only 4 or 5 frames to begin with the stronger hive population will add strength back to the hive on top and clean up the moth problem. you may then seperate the two hives after several weeks and possible boost the weaker hive with capped brood and stores from the stronger hive. if you are not really good at spotting the queen make certain you brush or bump the attached bees on these frames before transfering.

good luck....

Depending where you are, BT is good, but it's not available in the States. Are the queens any good? You really do need to think about why the bees haven't used all the available space.
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

I keep hearing that BT is not available in the States, but it IS available on the beeworks website and they DO sell it and ship it to the US. I emailed them about this and they said that they ship it to the US almost every day. Here's the email I received:

Hi Doug,
    Yes, it is B401, and we ship it to the States almost every day.
    Jean..

> I am getting conflicting information on the availability of Certan here
    > in the United States. I'm told it is available in Canada.
    >
    > Can you ship it to Salt Lake City, UT? Is this Certan, aka: B401, aka:
    > Bacillus thuringiensis, subspecies aizawai, that we are talking about here?
    >
    > Doug Rolley

I often put comb with wax worms in it on hives for the bees to clean up. Even a poor colony can keep a hive well enough that the moth can not get established.

The only time I see what you describe is robber bees cleaning out a hive where the colony has died out for whatever reason, the activity at the entrance giving the impression it is a functioning colony.

I agree with David. I doubt the bees and wax moths are co-existing. the hives are probably dead - outs being robbed by bees and wax moths are taking up residence.
    It is what it is.

I saw a referance to a west SHB trap, where can I get info on these?

Yes, Bt is available from Beeworks. Someone once posted that it was out of stock there, but otherwise it's always been available there.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Carl,
    I get my West SHB traps from Dadant. Kelly doesn't carry them yet, but I suspect they will as the SHB's are spreading in Kentucky. Others might also supply them.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

Actually there is some BT for sale here on BEE SOURCE. In the For Sale section. Sundance had a bunch he was selling. Pretty darn cheap too and it arrived in no time.

Rod

it's good to hear that the stuff is available; when I had a problem with greater wax moth, it cleared it up in no time. I'm always hearing that it isn't licenced over there, and I'd assumed that everyone kowtowed and didn't sell it. I'm glad I was wrong!
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK