Thread: Wax moths

As my my screen name implies, i am doing a great job of breeding moths but a lousy job of raising bees. I've looked at some other suggestions on this board about BT and assimilating bees into other hives. However, I wanted to see if anyone has ever used Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) inside a hive to rid it of moths. What is the dose?

>Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) inside a hive to rid it of moths.

It will very effectively kill the moths and the bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Does anyone know of the chemical Phostoxin to control moths in stored comb?
    Phostoxin comes in tablets or pellets, and is safely used to preserve stored grain for human consumption.

To get ahold of phostoxin your gonna need a type of chemical applicator permit, here in the states anyway. Pretty nasty stuff
    AKA BEEMAN800

To get ahold of phostoxin your gonna need a type of chemical applicator permit, here in the states anyway. Pretty nasty stuff
    AKA BEEMAN800

B 401 is the only medium that I found to work safely. I am still searching for a supplier in the States or Canada. It is available in Germany, see: www.imkerei-technik.de
    I don't know how to set up the payments but I might call them sometime and let you know.

B 401 is available at www.beeworks.com They are located in Canada but will ship to the US

Is B401 safe to use on all drawn comb such as honey supers in storage?
    Ron

>Is B401 safe to use on all drawn comb such as honey supers in storage?

It was approved in the US but the certification has now lapsed because they didn't have enough business, apparently. Rumor is they are going to renew it now.

Yes. It is safe.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I sprayed a few frames of comb today with some Certan I had already mixed up a few months ago. It smelled the same except much stronger than before. Very much like raw sewage! Has anyone else experienced this and is it really okay to keep spraying it on my comb?

Certan degrades after about 6 weeks in liquid condition. I'd guess that if its several months old it will be ineffective.

Fusion

I don't know how well it keeps but I've had some mixed in bottles for long periods of time and it never smelled anything like raw sewage. I'd throw it out.

Kenpkr writes in an August 26 post:

"I sprayed a few frames of comb today with some Certan I had already mixed up a few months ago. It smelled the same except much stronger than before. Very much like raw sewage! Has anyone else experienced this and is it really okay to keep spraying it on my comb?"

I mixed up a batch of 4 tbl in a brand new gallon sprayer on 8/31 and sprayed some infested comb.

I'm very satisfied.

So today, 9/08, I found two more hives infested with wax moths. I pulled the frames and sprayed them with the same stuff I mixed up on 8/31

And stink? Yes! The stuff smells a little like Bee-Go. So after pulling out the frames and spraying both sides, I set the frames back in the box and stacked the boxes in an alternating pattern to air dry.

I'm going to start a new thread in this forum for further comments.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Let us know how the smellyl Bt works.

Today, 9/9, I sprayed some more frames. The frames sprayed with the week-old Xen Teri has air-dried in the supers (stacked in an alternating fashion) are fine. No further smell. I guess there was some bacterial action going on in that sprayer.

As these frames are drying in the stacked supers, I still have four or five bees visiting these supers. They were fully dry and cleaned out when they went into storage.

Apparently, the Xen Teri is not offensive to the bees.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

*************NOTE**************************

The insert on the package of XenTari reads
    3 TEASPOONS per gallon. Not tablespoons.

The Max rate is Max rate is 4 TEASPOONS
    per gallon. I am using this rate myself.

4 tablespoons is mighty potent. Sure it
    does not matter other than using more
    than is needed.

[size="1"][ September 09, 2006, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Sundance ][/size]