Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Legal Department of any company that makes and/or distributes a preparation of bacterial spores (like Bacillis thuringiensis of ANY strain) will insist on all those warnings for the purpose of minimizing its risks. All Bacillus species form spores and, if one gets enough of them in his body, he could develop an infection -- maybe even a massive infection leading to septicemia and fatal shock, renal shutdown and generalized organ failure.

These spores are made to germinate and grow into full-fledged bacterial cells that produce chemicals -- the toxins -- that will kill the wax moths, which is why we buy them. Bacteria don't mean any harm; they just want a nice place to live, and it could be a careless beekeeper. The toxins can be very dangerous -- for example, that produced in tetanus by a different spore-forming bacterium, Clostridium tetani.

Treat the preparations with respect, but don't panic. Zillions of bacteria are already alive and well in our houses, and we don't get sick because we wash our hands.
    Kishwaukee Goldminer

Default inert ingredients

Referencing an old post:

Did anyone ever figure out the inert ingredients in B-401? Old post just curious. Does anyone have any Certan with the ingredients and inoculation strength on the label?
    sc-bee

Default B 401

Hi SC et all,

I still have a little of B 401 left. The Labeling is in German and I will translate at least the main label for you:
    "Biological insecticide to fight the wax moth in Beekeeping:
    It is a new biological, selectively acting Larvacide: It contains protein crystals and spores of the Bacillus thuringensis Berliner Serotyp 7. It is effective against all larvastadia of the Great Wax Moth (sic); it has an excellent extended effectiveness; the activity method is based above all on the protein crystals that after ingestion by the larva starts a destruction of the digestive tract. B 401 is totally non-poisonous for humans, bees, useful creatures, wildlife and water creatures."

Hopefully this will help answering some of your questions. The 120ml bottle also has the mixture rates and the methods and timing of the applications.
    Take care and have fun

Arrow

The serotype for B-401 is (per Vita the maker) is not Berliner.

Here's a quote from the Vita site:

"Aizawai serotype 7 (present in B 401) is the sole variety of Bacillus thuringiensis to give excellent results against wax moth. Some other types of Bacillus thuringiensis are toxic to humans & bees."

http://www.vita-europe.com/en/products/b401.htm

Default Bt technical fact sheet

sc-bee

Default B 401

Interesting!
    I just looked again at the bottle from which I did the translation. It definitely mentions Berliner Serotyp 7. I did look also at the Vita site and there the description does not mention it. Both bottles look exactly the same. I suspect that I have an old bottle as it was manufactured by Sandoz USA and also has a marking by Swarm S. A. I think that this product has been taken over in manufacture by Vita and they might have changed the formula from the original. That is the only way I can explain the difference.
    Take care and have fun.

Not to argue.... but the site I referenced was the Vita site, the current manufacturer of the product. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see they currently use Aizawai. Maybe Berliner was used in earlier preps??

Has anyone notice any dead (or live) SHB larve after spraying or wax worms?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemaninsa View Post
    Has anyone notice any dead (or live) SHB larve after spraying or wax worms?
    various strains of the Bt endotoxin (basically a gut poison) are available which each one generally specific to an insect order (Bt works at different insect gut pH) ie Bt israelensis for Diptera (flies), Bt kurstaki for Lepidoptera (moths) and recently Bt tenebrionis for Coleoptera (beetles). Dont know if anyone has studied the effectiveness of Bt tenebrionis on SHB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12