Thread: ANTS??

I checked a hive today and it had ants and ant eggs on top of the frames by the hundreds..what should I do?thanks!!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

As a matter of fact... I just tonight did a search here and there were at least 28 posts with some good ideas on ants...

On top of the frames? I think you have a problem. I find them all the time on the inner cover or anyplace the bees can't get to, but not where the bees CAN get. I think your problem is not ants, but that's a symptom I wouldn't ignore. The hive sounds weak to me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ant eggs, or ant pupae? Eggs of most species of ants are smaller than honey bee eggs.

I agree with Michael. I've seen a few ants in hives from time to time, but I've never seen ant eggs (or pupae) in a hive. If they've set up shop like that in a hive, I think, too, that your hive has other, bigger problems.

also if it is a home made hive i have seen the bee spacing above the frame just almost even just enough space for ants. the bees had it sealed so they couldnt into the hive from the tops of the frames and they were using about 6 frames. the hive was packed with bees the hive was real old so I helped the guy chang them out into a better hive

Are ants something that one should worry about. I know that my gradmother has told me of my grandfather tying oily rags on the legs of the hive stand in order to keep the bees from getting onto or in the hive. Do most avoid the use of a grandular or even a ground drench pesticide spread over the ground around the hives?

[size="1"][ August 29, 2006, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: NCBeginner ][/size]
    Ron

Ants are usually not a big deal on or around the hive. A good method to keep ants off (I hate chemicals) especially if the bees aren't keeping them out of the hive is to:

1.) make 4 "legs" for your hive stand

2.) place these legs inside soup cans filled with veg oil.

3.) the ants can't get up onto the hive

Just one idea. I'm sure others will offer more . . .
    Lazy Bee -- Bee Craft & Supply (Toll-Free 866-LAZY-BEE)
    Quality Beekeeping Supplies & More! http://www.lazybeestudio.com
    Toll Free: (866) LAZY-BEE

I like to use cinnamon. Has never failed!!!
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

lazy: sent you a pm
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I have Ants arround my hives. They have not been on any frames yet. They have been doing a great job of carting off the mites that fall on my SBB. As long as they are working for me I will leave them alone. Last spring when I had the feeder on I had a little problem with them.

Owen

describe the ants. large, small, black, red.

my experience is that some ants are a bit more tolerable than others. direct contact between ant and bees either at the top or bottom of the hive typically leads to the bees being a bit nervous.

Chef Isaac... how/where do you apply the cinnamon for ant control?
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Some are the small black ant. However the ones that I have noticed around the bottom board are real tiny red ants. Very small in nature, unlike the fire-ant.
    Ron

ron the ants you describe sound like what I call sugar ants and I see them frequently scavaging around the outside of the hive. There effect on a hive seems to be very minor.

it would seem to me that what blkcloud has described indicates insufficient bee space between his top bar and cover. otherwise a colony of sufficient strength would have taken care of the problem themselves.

Sounds good. I have watched and seen bees attack some larger ants on the hive, and the ones that I am seeing do not seem to be entering the hive. I know, as of Monday, the hive is very high in the number of bees present. I expect a decline over the next few weeks, as there was a few days after the removal that I do not expect that the queen was laying.
    Ron