Thread: Treating Nosema

Sad

It unfortunately looks as if both my hives have a case of Nosema, I'm seeing a good deal of spotting near the entrance, on the hive, and some inside on one. However, spotting is the only symptom I see, no aimless movement, dragging, etc. At first I thought it may have even been splattered mud, but now I'm rather confident it is in fact Nosema. Sadly I don't have access to a microscope to verify this. My question is what should I do about this? I'd imagine Fumagilin-B would be the common route, how much is sufficient to treat two hives? Obviously I have to remove my super from my lang, but what should be done about my top bar hive?
    -Robert<br /><a href=\"http://photos.bobsbees.com\" target=\"_blank\">Photos and Such</a>

&gt;but now I'm rather confident it is in fact Nosema.

Based on what? Did you field strip a bee?

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pest&disease/slide39.htm

&gt; Sadly I don't have access to a microscope to verify this. My question is what should I do about this?

I would at least field strip a few bees and examine the intestines before I jumped to conclusions.

&gt; I'd imagine Fumagilin-B would be the common route, how much is sufficient to treat two hives?

I'm sure it's listed on the bottle. I would guess it would be listed in the catalogs. I don't know since I've never used any.

&gt;Obviously I have to remove my super from my lang, but what should be done about my top bar hive?

Ideally you should have a couple of boxes to put excess TBH combs in. That way you could pull the honey off of the top bar hive, treat and then return it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

As I've said before, I'm new at this so my confidence means little, that namely why I came here first before doing anything too drastic (like spending money on medication [img]smile.gif[/img] ). Mainly though I based my belief on how the hives look.
    This picture (~44k) was taken just a few minutes go, I had scraped the hive clean with a putty knife about 7 to 10 days ago so this is around a week+ of accumulation. Also knowing that nosmea may stressed based, I took in to account we have been having a dry season and they are likely not brining in much nectar.

How does one field strip a bee, should I take some of the field force, raid the hive, a bit of each? Dose there exist any step by step instructions that a queasy beginner such as my self can follow?
    -Robert<br /><a href=\"http://photos.bobsbees.com\" target=\"_blank\">Photos and Such</a>

Take a hold of a head of a worker, and pop it off gently (if one can call popping their head of gentle) and pull it apart. The gut should string out. A white gut is considered an indication of Nosema. Not as reliable as a microscope, but it's a quick field diagnosis.

Yes, the symptoms are likely but not definately, Nosema. What can they get into this time of year, where you are, that would give the bees the runs? Impure sugar sources such as molasses (common in cattle feed) or rotting fruit would be the other likely causes of dysentary.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Well I attempted a field test on three bees today and the only things I proved are that a bee sting to the index finger hurts and I don't know how to properly complete a field test.

I placed of the bees in the freezer for 20 min to kill them and defrosting them for an hour, should I not have done this? The bees were too difficult to handle otherwise, ie the earlier sting. I attempted to gently 'pop off' each of their heads. In each case only the head came off, and in only once case was I able to do an exploratory autopsy.

Here are the results (~16K not for the squeamish), I for one am stumped and just as well off as I was before. What should my next step be?

As what they can get in to around here that may cause their results, I could believe rotting fruit. There are no cattle, and hence cattle feed, for many, many miles, so I doubt that as a problem. There may also be a possibility of poor water, just in case I gave each hive a boardman feeder with water. Just as a thought, can any poison cause this kind of result? I know one of my neighbors really does not like my bees, but I hope they would not go as far as to dust with seven or the such.

With this sort of thing (assuming nosema or dysentery) clear up on its own in a strong enough hive? As far as I can tell both hive are good and strong with plenty of brood and good activity in the late morning and afternoon. Assuming they don't clear up is there any non-medicative or more so natural/safe approach to its cure?

&gt;With this sort of thing (assuming nosema or dysentery) clear up on its own in a strong enough hive?

I would assume it would take a while.

&gt; As far as I can tell both hive are good and strong with plenty of brood and good activity in the late morning and afternoon. Assuming they don't clear up is there any non-medicative or more so natural/safe approach to its cure?

I have not tried one. I know people who feed syrup with cider vinegar in it for nosema. I don't know if it works.