Thread: SHB Larva

I installed package bees about two months ago. I noticed a SHB on the top feeder a week or so later, but did not worry as it is a fact of beekeeping. Recently, I installed a screened bottom board and have noticed one SHB larva each time (3) that I have pulled the trap. On frame inspection, I do not see any larva or beetles, but I do have a very large number of bees. Should I be concerned?
    Hobbyist

If you have beetles then you will have to live with them. I would take no action if I only saw an occational beetle. If you are not used to looking at the worms, make sure the beetle worm is not a wax worm. Keep your hives strong.

What kind of trap are you using? Are you seeing any adult SHB in the trap?

One or two larva are probably not much cause for concern if you have a lot of bees and you are not seeing any comb damage upon inspection. If on the other hand you can see some comb damage, then I would be concerned that a lot of the larva are escaping your trap.

If you are only seeing one or two adult beetles in the hive, then the bees are probably doing a pretty good job of keeping them "at bay". I have DE (diatomaceous earth) in my traps and I am still seeing alot of dead and dying adult SHB's in the traps and once in a while I will see one or two small larva in the trap as well. Generally I only see one or two beetles in the hive on inspection and if I wait and watch long enough I will see the bees "throw" them to the bottom where they usually go through the SBB into the DE (never to return).

We recently had a lot of rain and cooler weather in our area and they seems to bring the SHB's into the hive more. When it hotter and dryer I see fewer of them.

Keep a close watch, things can go bad quickly if the SHB's get ahead of the bees, especially on a new package (I have lost three new packages this year, SHB's contributed heavily to their demise).
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

rons sezs:
    I do have a very large number of bees. Should I be concerned?

tecumseh adds:
    as long as the hive is populated and growing the little black bug is of little problem. they can fairly quickly overcome a hive that is faltering either from weak queen or population and/or insufficient nectar (stores or flow).