A fellow beek told me the other day that he had just took the bottom out of his hives to allow for mite drops..no screen or anything..?? :confused: have any of you ever tried this?? what are your thoughts on it?thanks!!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

I think it's too cold around here for that. Here's some more reading:

http://www.beesource.com/pov/simon/bottomless.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

wow..pretty neat..i'm going to try one..how high from the ground would you suggest to have it?thanks!!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

blkcloud

I took a stab at one last year
    the bees seemed really happy with it but I can't say it really was beneficial
    I tried to note some of my first time design flaws

http://www.drobbins.net/bee's/slats/slats.html

Dave

I think about 8 inches off the ground and the skunks and coons would love it.

>I think about 8 inches off the ground and the skunks and coons would love it.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

I notice Mr. Simon says it makes them more defensive. Bus is that always good thing? Maybe for keeping skunks out, but it's not good to keep the beekeeper out.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF