Question

I've been told that useing different kinds of smoke will promote varroa to drop off the bees. Such as tabacco ( wich I will have to buy) and eucalyptus, wich I can collected for free. Hence I m interested if any one has more information on the effectiveness of this technique useing eucalyptus.
    BTW, I'm useing a SBB.

Might be able to make a swap. Have used crushed tobacco leaves in my smoker and it does cause the mites to drop off the bees but without screened bottom boards, they hitch right back on. It does not kill them.

Hi,
    Glad you are using SBB, the most important component of IPM.
    In 2004, we were using exotic smokes like dried tobacco leaves and dried grapefruit leaves and we were doubleing our mite drops on very infested hives from 25 mites/24hour drop without smoke to 50 mites with smoke. You could see it made a difference and the bees didn't like it. They made a very angry buzz. We were still, very excited with it and used it most of 2004. In 2005 we discovered powdered sugar. Then we experience 1000's of mites on our sticky boards. We never went back.
    I noticed you live close to me. In Roseville, on Taylor Road, the smoke store next to The Tobacco Republic, he gave me non-treated tobacco leaves (not organic) from display boxes for cigars where they used tobacco leaves for packing. We only went there once, he gave us a years supply. Bring him a jar of honey.
    Janet

I have heard walnut leaves.
    Jack

In the fall, gather the "berries" (seed head) from the tall, bushy stag-horn sumac.

I've tried them, counted mites both before and after, and the smoke works great increasing mite drop as counted on a sticky board. The seeds also burn pretty fast. You'll have to reload your smoker often, and the bees hate the smell of the smoke.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725