Thread: Hood SHB Trap

Can someone post some upclose and detail pictures of this trap? It would be be helpful in understanding how this trap works.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

So hoz it work? What attracts the buggers in thar anywayz?

Waya
    WayaCoyote

It has 3 compartments. You can put apple vinegar in the middle to attract them and mineral oil in the other 2 to kill them.

Lets get some upclose pictures of all of it. Not just the catalog photo.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Dr. Hood also stated that a company was working on an attractant for the trap (can't remember company name :confused: ).
    I guess similar to that in a Japanese beetle trap??? Wouldn't that attract everyone else's shb also?? I got enough of my own :mad: . Hope they have something in mind that will work!!!

[size="1"][ May 14, 2006, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: sc-bee ][/size]
    sc-bee

SC-bee
    > I guess similar to that in a Japanese beetle trap??? Wouldn't that attract everyone else's shb also?? I got enough of my own

I don't know much about Japanese beetle traps, but that they and boll weavel traps are used around the area. And I remember the concern for them attracting more beetles did come up in discussions often. The same issue comes up with bug zappers. So does anyone know?

Waya
    WayaCoyote

Would this work on a screened bottom board? Also since vinegar is used in the two liter yellow jacket traps would that work as well? I've never looked in them for SHB, just the moths, hornets, flys and wasps they've gotten. Thanks

David

The Hood SHB Trap is a small box with a liquid that kills beetles. It works because the beetles continually look for small dark places to hide, and maybe lay their eggs. The bees cannot follow them through the 1/8th inch slot in the top. I have only used vegetable oil. The beetles drown in it. I have had them pile up so thick you can't see the oil. The ads also suggest vinegar, so that should also drown them. Others on this forum have suggested diatamaceous earth (sp?). That should work equally well.
    James Burns
    Science is...the acquisition of reliable knowledge about the world (Jared Diamond).