Thread: bear squares

does anyone use bears squares.(the plywood squares with nails sticking up)If so what is a good size to use for nails and plywood. Never used them but herd that they work well. The bear that is disturbing my hives, is getting more and more aggressive. Maybe some bear squares will calm him down in the middle of the night

I was looking into this, myself, but am more than a bit worried about liability (it is, indeed, a litigious society we live in, even with "No Trespassing" signs.)

I'm using an electric fence. But I'd guess any nails that protrude at about 1/2 inch would do the trick. Closer together for smaller critters, wider apart for big-uns.
    Pocket Meadow Farm

I'd be afraid I, or someone I know, would step on them...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

A fence that is well baited and has a strong charger is the way to go.

I would be worried with the plywood and nails of the liability and the possiblity that the bear is injuried and he becomes more of a problem or dangerous.

Instead of bear squares, I'd be looking into bear rounds.
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

Big Bear Rounds. Also bear steaks, roast, jerky, burger, stew meat, and dont forget about the rug that looks good in front of a fire place.
    If your gettin stung your doing something wrong...

I was thinking more of the "thirty aught six" bear rounds.
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

I made a skunk square to put in front of the entrance of my one hive. Good strong hive but the bees were slightly nasty last weekend when I checked them. That skunk's been snacking again! I have about a 9" hole dug in front of the hive by the skunk. I put the plywood, same width as the hive and about one foot wide, with small nails pointing up in rows 1" apart in front of the entrance. We'll see if the bees calm down!

liz did you cover the plywood with anything like brush or grass?

No, I didn't put any grass over it. Do you think the bees will feel disoriented because of this? Or is it like covering a lion pit? Let the skunk think everything is OK?
    Liz.

Liz- I think its a great idea but time will tell if it will work or not let us know how it turns out.

I havent had to use the bear squares yet because the bear for some reason has not came back sence the 2nd night.Maybe it found some food for a while.
    A friend of mine said to use some bear-be-gone mixed in with the brood frames bear-be-gone is the stuff that some people use in the radiator of they're car but Im just not that cruel

yeah, and that sounds illegal. Is this an outyard or near home?

I've a friend who runs a business in Namimbia, Africa with Cheetahs. A loud dog does wonders.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

yeah, and that sounds illegal. Is this an outyard or near home?

this is near home but I decided that mother nature doesnt want me to have hives here so I moved them 4 miles south up a little higher in elevation and alot more forage.so maybe it will turn out ok after all.I just hope the bear doesnt
    roam off that way.

I've a friend who runs a business in Namimbia, Africa with Cheetahs. A loud dog does wonders

I have a dog, my scary black lab doesnt seem to make much fear in the eyes of the bear.I think its a big one.

I picture the bed of nails trick where you lay down on a bed of nails. If you lived your whole life without shoes, I'd say your feet would be pretty tuff.

Also, walking around in a bee suit is dangerous enough without having booby traps all over the place. You can turn a fence charger off. You can easily forget about bear squares on the ground when the grass gets tall.

I have a lot of skunks at my place. Most don't bother the hives, but do munch on dead bees on the ground. However last year I decided I would make some skunk boards to put in front. I took 30" squares of plywood and put about 1000 staples into it with my air stapler. Sounded like a good idea. Well, in the last 2 months I have watched 3 skunks walk right over them like it wasn't even there. I was going to pick them up and throw them out, but they do keep the weeds down. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    \"Home is where the hive is.\"