Thread: ants

I've been invaded by tiny black ants on the top board and cover. The bees seem to be ignoring them. Should I be concerned? Any suggestions for getting rid of them?
    GTBee<br />The only good Yellow Jacket is the human kind from GA Tech!

One remedy is to sprinkle cinnamon where they are trailing in. Supposed to disrupt their communication.

Or find the hill, dump gas on it, stand back, and toss a farmers match........ yeeeeee haaaaaaaa

If your hive stand has legs....... put the legs into a can of oil, fashion a cover to divert rain. Ants end up in the oil....

Borax and jelly. Feed it to the ants.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael........ do you have to put it under a board so bees don't get to it??

I have a monster colony I'd like to dispatch by means other than poison or gasoline.

sundance suggest:
    If your hive stand has legs....... put the legs into a can of oil, fashion a cover to divert rain. Ants end up in the oil....

tecumseh adds:
    well I would suggest a smear of axle grease on the legs of the stand since eventually the oil does become displaced by the rain water. you will need to refresh the grease about once a year.

some species of ants are not a serious problem for the bees, although on some occasions a cohabitation arragement will often make the 'girls' a bit hostile.

I had lots of ants trying to get syrip from my new package last week. I went back to try and do something, but noticed the ants were not there anymore. After watching a little while, one ant tried to get is the hive but a guard bee grabed him and flew off with him. I think the bees have it under control.

Bill

I've heard from several sources that grits sprinkled around the invaded area (or ant nest) will do away with the ants. The ants carry the grits back home, eat it, swell up and go "pttht".

Will be trying this myself.
    Pocket Meadow Farm

&gt;Michael........ do you have to put it under a board so bees don't get to it??

I haven't had trouble with the bees getting in to it. But if there was a dearth I might.

&gt;I have a monster colony I'd like to dispatch by means other than poison or gasoline.

Put the borax and jelly right on the colony.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF