Question

Hi & thanks in advance.
    I'm starting with two hives and intend to use SC foundation from Dadent (unless suggestions persuade me otherwise)
    Does it make sense to start with 5.1 foundation and then move to 4.9?
    My plan is to use all medium supers so I figure I'll have 3 for brood. I could start with only two at 5.1 and then after they are drawn put the 3rd on with 4.9 and rotate out 5.1 to 4.9 as tome goes. Could I put the 5.1 up in my supers during a flow after all brood is out?
    Is this plan sound or flawed?
    Please explain and I appreciate the help very much!

>Does it make sense to start with 5.1 foundation and then move to 4.9?

Sure.

>My plan is to use all medium supers so I figure I'll have 3 for brood. I could start with only two at 5.1 and then after they are drawn put the 3rd on with 4.9 and rotate out 5.1 to 4.9 as tome goes.

I'd just use the 5.1mm in the first and don't add the second until the first is full. By then you'll have some 5.1mm bees. Then use 4.9mm for the rest.

>Could I put the 5.1 up in my supers during a flow after all brood is out?

Sure.

>Is this plan sound or flawed?

Pretty good. I just think you can step to 4.9mm sooner than you think. In fact you can just start with the 4.9mm. They will just draw the 5.1mm prettier at first.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF