Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    125

    Post

    I have two hives. One is plesant to work with, lower Varroa counts, more brood production, and no K-wings. The other hive is meaner, have higher Varroa counts, and many K-wing bees. My replacement queen is not available until the end of April.

    Option 1: Treat the mean hive for Varroa and Trachea mites, and wait till the end of April to requeen
    Option 2: Put a division board on the better hive, kill the mean queen, and put queen cells into queenless hive. (I've spotted about a dozen drones and lots of drone brood.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've never tried to raise my own queens.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    College Station, Texas
    Posts
    6,985

    Post

    I would likely treat the affected hive and wait for the new queen to arrive. even though a new queen should provide you with some edge over the mites getting their number to a reasonable level would seem to give the new queen a better chance. another option might be to recombine and then split later, but I would likely still be inclined to treat the seriously affected hive before combining.

    wish you luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Whitefield, Maine USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Post

    I agree with Tecumseh, I'd try and knock down the mites and requeen later, but I wouldn't combine them now.
    Dulcius ex asperis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    125

    Post

    I agree, I do not want to combine my hives...it would just be giving the hive I like more mites. I will treat the hot girls. Do you know a good supplier for Thymol? Do you think I should treat with Thymol, Menthol, OA, ApiLife, or powdered sugar. Too many choices.
    Thanks,
    Janice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Volga, SD
    Posts
    2,791

    Post

    You've already decided that you don't want to use Apistan or Checkmite+?

    I would be tempted to try something a little different with your hive that you want to treat. You said a replacement queen will be available at the end of April, and you said you've seen a lot of drone brood in the hive already. I think I'd try "drone trapping" for a couple weeks, then kill the existing queen a day or two before you install the new queen, and install the new queen using an indirect-release method. The drone trapping should help cut down numbers of mites considerably, and the break in the brood cycle from putting in the new queen should help, too.

    Make sure the new queen has some resistance to tracheal mites -- that should reduce the numbers of k-wing bees without much else in the way of treatments for that problem.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    125

    Post

    I hate lt admit it, but I don't want to spend too much money on this hot hive.I have some ApiLife Var I could use if the weather warms up a little. The mite count isn't huge (about 10 mites/24 hours) If I used thymol I figured I could get rid of the Trachea mites and the Varroa mites. I just don't like working this hive. Besides being hot, they are always at the top of the frames and they do not respond to smoking so I end up killing alot of them putting the hive back together.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, N.C.
    Posts
    5,080

    Post

    Janice, I sent you a PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads