Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

AFB and old wax

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I want to purchase some wax to melt down and dip my permacomb into as MB has said he does to get small cell.

My question is, can I get AFB from the comb if it has been melted down and strained? I have no idea where the wax came from.

Bill

#6 ·
For what it's worth, Dee Lusby feels that properly rendered wax from AFB infected hives is perfectly suitable for use in hives and as foundation. Does it all the time, which is not to imply she has AFB in her hives all the time.

When I spoke to her about it recently, she mentioned holding it at 190 degrees F for a time in a hot water bath. She maintains that any AFB spores are embedded in the wax and that the bees don't eat the wax, they chew it and that miniscule amounts of AFB spores accidentally ingested by bees isn't a problem, as compared to AFB spores coming in contact with larva and mite-infested brood that are being chewed on. I didn't get into further discussion about it with her and I don't bring this up as a policy that I personally can or intend to defend. I just thought another perspective on this issue was worthwile voicing.

George-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.