Thread: SHB eggs????

I opened up my weaker hive today and found two hive beetles. I also found many many clusters of what looks like eggs in the cells of the large super. I have pictures if you want me to email them. I put them in the freezer...think this will kill them?

The freezer will kill all the eggs on the frames, but where you find some, there will be more. Keep an eye out for more. You might want to exchage the boxes if you have spares so they can be cleaned out. Beetles will lay in every little crack and cranny.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Janice

if you email them to me I'll post them online so you can show them to everybody

Dave

drobbins at drobbins dot net

Ok, Thanks Dave!

What do SHB eggs look like, can you see them?

I shook out a nuc that lost its queen and had hive beettles. It had multiple eggs in cells, most were smaller than a bee's egg but looked similar. I was thinking it was a laying worker, but could this instead be SHB eggs?

I had a bottom brood box that had been empty for a while (the bees had moved up to the top brood box) and it had clusters of eggs in the cells. You could definitely see them. I also saw many hive beetles. I froze the frames, let the bees clean out the honey, and then discarded the old comb. I haven't had a problem with the beetles this year yet. Luckly, I think I killed most of them. Can't say for sure if they were hive beetle eggs, but your discription sounds similar to what I was seeing. There were dozens of eggs clustered in my case. About how many eggs do you see in the cells?

I saw from one to 8.
    There wasn't many bees in there and I looked at every frame 6 or 7 times and still did not find a queen. The only brood was drone, and there was very few of those. Some looked like a regular bee egg size while many where small and not as uniform in shape. One queen cup was filled with about 7 or 8 bee looking eggs.

I think there may have been a laying worker and beetle eggs.

or, A young laying queen and I'm just blind.

or, I'm blind, and the beetles where destroying most of the queen's larvae before it could develop.

I shook it out and all the bees went to the hive beside it that was a strong 10 frame medium. We'll see in a week if they are all getting along.

I froze the comb then put it in some other weak nucs. First year with beetle problems.

I would like to see what yaw are talking about!!!!
    Ted