I apologize in advance if this thread question is already established and I missed it...
    I've seen more than a few different types of SHB "traps" and deterrent gadgets...has anyone had any amount of sucess with any? Any positive reports/suggestions greatly appreciated. Please state what you used and where you got it. I suppose an experienced what NOT to try is good info as well. Thanks much.

I'd do a search on "SHB traps" and see what you find. It has been discussed, but I don't know of a simple consensus.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Where are you from?

I would recommend anything from doing absolutely nothing if you lived in the north, to active treatments if you lived in the south.

The only treatment I did was the checkmite strip under some cardboard. It took care of the SHB really fast. After that one time, I found out that SHB are no big deal for the northern beekeeper. I am glad for that.

Thanks for the Checkmite feedback. I'm in the upper part of SC, SHB are becoming rather regular around here. Checking with some others in the western part of NC and they're showing up there as well. After putting a swarm in a new hive body last Summer, it had been found and occupied by a few SHB in less than 12 hours; ...so you're right, I need to start something and soon.
    I see different types of traps in catalogs, and I'm looking for feedback from users of traps/treatment to help me pick a course of action based on someone's practical recommendation. The way SHB are showing up around here, I'd like to start with a "tried and true" and then begin to experiment and test different methods. Again, thanks for the Checkmite feedback.
    I'm hoping to hear any results using the oil-filled traps that drown the beetles.

Most on here mention the west beetle trap. I have not tried it but use search option for their feedback. Also Professor @ Clemson helped develop a trap that is small and fits on one frame that is being marketed this year, but have not seen any results of his field study results.(and as I said it is new this year I think It is about $3.50 each, try Brushy Mountain.)
    sc-bee