I checked on the status of my pollen patties today. The bees really haven't consumed much as I think they are already bringing in some natural pollen. I counted a total of 10 adult SHB crawling on the patties. That's about the same number that I always see in three hives, but 6 of those 10 were paired up in the "mating" position.

Is it the time of year or are pollen patties some sort of SHB aphrodisiac?

I have heard they love pollin patties, I have talked to people here in Ga that will not use the patties anymore because the SHB's love the patties so much, they probably going to lay eggs on the patties and start this years population. hope you pinched them
    Ted

heres a picture and a little info,,,,go to the BEECARE LEARNING CENTER and then scan down to SHB, and the info and pic is there.

http://www.beecare.com/indexDynFrame.../SHB/SHB.htm&1

[size="1"][ February 05, 2006, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: TwT ][/size]
    Ted

>hope you pinched them

Oh yes. There's nothing better than hearing their exoskeletons being crushed under a hive tool -- except maybe dumping live mites covered with powdered sugar on a fire ant hill. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In fact I normally keep a small punch with my hive tool. You can kill beetles that you see running into a cell without tearing up the comb. I rarely see more than 3 or 4 adults in a hive -- if any at all. I've never (knock on wood) seen a SHB larva in a hive.

Last year I found shb larvae in most of the pollen patties in my hives. i guess it makes for the ideal place to lay eggs and then for the lavae to grow.

I put patties on my hives 2 weeks ago and all are gone except 2.Those two are the weak hives.I have noticed if you use the frame type feeders that is where you will find the larvae at,usually floating if not empty then if it is they are trying to crawl out but can't..
    I do have a stupid question though,what happens if the larvae can't reach the ground?I mean say you put a barrier of some sort at the entrance that they can't crawl over?Do they die on the bottom board?
    I usually have bee after me and the beetles when I try to smash them.I go for them and the bees go for them at the same time.I think I have better luck at it..
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan