Does anyone use the menthol and canola oil treatment for tracheal mites as listed on page 185 of Beekeeping for Dummies? If so, is it effective in the winter as stated in the book? Thanks.

I tried it years ago but since I don't pop the heads of my bees and check their trachea I don't know if it works. I know Menthol, when used correctly is very effective. I don't treat anymore and get an occasional colony die from T-mites.

I raise my own queens and look for "K" wings and requeen if they have any. I don't treat for Tracheal mites.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>>Does anyone use the menthol and canola oil treatment for tracheal mites

Yes, I do.

I have been using it every two years. Works very effectively.

It can be hard on brood when temps rise high, 30 degrees plus. But otherwise easy to treat, but not cheap.

The Cardboard soaked Menthol/oil treatment is far superiour to simply laying crystals. It evaperates much more effectively, and the bees will completely remove the cardboard after a week as the menthol releases.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian,
    How large a piece of cardboard do you use? The book talks about using soaked paper towels.

Michael,
    Is K wing a permanent condition? That is, if you see the wings in the shape of a K will they stay that way or can the bee retract them to their normal position? I have seen some bees with their wings out like a K, but later they retract the wings to a normal position and are able to fly. Thanks.

Whenever I use menthol, it seems like the bees get aggressive. Maybe its just the time of year that I'm using it, but I really do notice a difference.

I have been buying presoaked corrigated 15 cm * 15cm. I could do it my self and save alot of money, but for 100 or so I just cant justify the time.

Aspera, I notice that too. They dont like the stuff, but they tend to accept it in a few days or so. Even so, they would only be aggressive for two weeks or so till the treatment is done.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

For those of us who don't have the book, could someone kindly summarize the method? How much of each oil; any special cardboard? how is it placed in the hives? How long should it be left in?

Thanks
    Jack

I'm going to send you a PM on how I do it.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

No deal. The administrator didn't like my PM (probably for length). I wanted to attach it, but couldn't do it.

I'm going to send you another PM with an alternative e-mail. Thanks,

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

If it's too long, just split it up into parts.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

50/50 ratio of Menthol and shortening, heated to melt the shortening and menthol crystals. 15cm*15cm corrigated cardboard placed into mixture, many at a time and allowed time to sit and soak till absorbed.

Put in hives bottom board or over top bars Mid spring, before the temps get too hot. Usually lasts for two weeks, where it can be done again if needed.

I usually just treat once. Some again in the fall.
    www.stepplerfarms.com