Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Carolina-Family-Farm . . .

I got mine at Lowe's too! Look in paint dept w/ laquer thinner, mineral spirts, etc. for a GENERIC "wood bleach".

We are NOT describing a PREPARED DECK CLEANER.

All of it I've seen was straight oxalic acid. No other ingredients.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Carolina-Family-Farm . . .

The following is from my container:

Savogran
    Oxalic Acid
    Wood Bleach

Bleaches uncoated wood
    Removes black water spots and stains
    Gently lightens wood

POISON!
    Net Wt. 12 Oz - (340g)

Bar Code #4954210501

SAVOGRAN COMPANY
    Norwood, MA 02062-0130
    1-800-225-9872

www.savogran.com

What does stored OA sugar syrup breakdown into? How fast does it break down? How harmful to bees is the resultant material?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Thanks to all who helped point me in the OA direction at Lowe's. I went back to the store tonight and searched the paint department. I asked a (different) sales associate and she took me right to it. The last sales associate had me looking at a deck wash powder when I asked for wood bleach. The first associate didn't understand what I was asking for and I didn't know what it looked like until you all posted some help, so thanks again.

By the way guys, how do you pronounce oxalic acid?

>By the way guys, how do you pronounce oxalic acid?

I've heard an amazing variety of pronuciations. I thought there was only one way to say it. I assumed the "a" would be pronounced like it is in Spanish or Italian. Sort of a like "all". I assumed the accent would be on the second sylable. But I have heard many other pronuciation including the "a" being like "Al" and the accent on either the middle or first sylables. That's about four variations I've heard.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

What does the pronunciation of ox a lic acid break down into? Anybody know?

sqkcrk . . .

>What does stored OA sugar syrup breakdown into?

Storage of prepared 1:1 sugar/water/OA solution - Sucrose solution used for trickling changes its color (to brown) after prolonged storage at room temperature as hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) content increases. This is the substance used to detect a loss of quality in overheated honey. Sucrose solution w/ a high HMF content is toxic to bees. Use freshly prepared solution or solution can be stored a maximum of 6 months at a temperature of 59OF (15OC). Storage at or below 39OF (4OC) is ideal.
    [http://www.apis.admin.ch/en/krankhei...agerung_e.pdf].

Thanks Dave W. This is the answer that my friend wanted. So, apparently, if he keeps his premix at or below 39 degrees F, not hard to do in NY this time of year usually, it aught to stay useable and not harmful.

I understand that treating during the broodless time is prefered but, wouldn't killing adults not under cappings be better than waiting for the broodless period? It just seems like killing 1/3 or your mites might just be the right thing to do to keep colonies alive. Threshold. Isn't that what it's called?