Thread: AFB and Wax

this might have been covered but I couldn't find in the search section, I was just wondering since AFB spores can live in wood and fire is the best treatment, could AFB live in wax? Example: if I wanted to make my own foundations and I bought chemical free wax or took wax on a trade, could I be making AFB foundation and putting it in my hives or would melting the wax kill the spores (thought the spores are tougher than that)? I have seen a few wanting frame and foundation trade in when buying nuc's from them, was just wondering if this could spread AFB?
    Ted

I do understand that a wax coating will cover spores if they are there, but if the spores get exposed is what I left out above.
    Ted

From what I've seen AFB spores sealed up in wax are not very likely to contribute to AFB. AFB scale in combs is very likely to. Most wax processing by the big bee suppliers involve steam and heating the wax a bit more than the usual 212 F to kill the spores. Trying to do this WITHOUT steam (to carefully control the temperature) is a very big fire hazard.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF