Question

how do you use the forums areas???

Hi Michelle-

There are lots of ways. When I started out, I just perused the forums I was interested in and let it go at that. Later on I discovered the "Today's Active Topics" link that appears on the upper right side of the forum listings and mostly use that now to spot the active topics. The problem with "Todays Active Topics" is if you don't check regularly, interesting topics can drop off the bottom without ever being seen.

If your online time budget is tight, you can request email notification of new replies to threads you are interested in. Select the "Full Reply Form" button at the bottom of the reply window to find this option, it's a check box at the bottom. You can manage your notifications from your Profiles page.

My purpose of reading here has changed too over time. At first, I was only soliciting help and searching for information. I'm now as interested in offering help where I can as well. It's rare when I have something valuable to offer, but it happens [img]smile.gif[/img]

As you poke around, you'll become more familiar with the way this site works. Have fun!

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

I have a bookmark that takes me directly to the "active topics" section of the system. As George points out, you can miss stuff if you don't visit the system for a while, but I find that it's a convenient way to get into the system. The URL is http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...?ubb=get_daily

You should also explore the search facility, as that's the way to find previous posts on what you're looking for.

thank you

why am I a house bee?

Because you are a female making you a worker bee!

JUST KIDDING!!

Keep posting and you'll soon reach the different castes of bees. It's a fun but painful transition.

Welcome!

I do have a question that I will leave here since no one is in the chatroom
    As I am reading my Beekeeping for Dummies Book it occurred to me that I had tons of what were probably honeybees in my gardens last year in my mint, lavender, Anis etc
    Those bees do not necessarily hive near my yard somewhere they may have travelled a great distance once they discovered my plants correct
    I will say to they were gentle bees I could go out and with little effort take what I needed from the garden and they just moved over out of the way to other blossoms

I see

Joel, are you really in Florence south carolina that is one of the places that I am looking at to move to once I sell my house, my other place is down to Georgia.

here is another question, the book says to face the hives southeast. I have a perfect spot but they would not face southeast is that going to be real problem?

My dad is in SC and we go there to visit our bees during the winter (they get to stay where it's warm over the winter, it's 6 F here where I am, go figure). I live in the beautiful Finger Lake region of upstate New York. You would love Florence. The people are exceptional, the weather is nice almost all year, 269 resturaunts and plenty of employment. Very classic southern hospitatlity not ruined by the snowbirds.

It is advantageous for hives to face south east due to exposure to the morning sun warming the hives and giving them a jump start. It also avoids those clipper winds coming out of the north blowing into the entrance. We do winter some of our hives in NY and we are on pallets so hive face all different directions. Try to avoid the entrance being pointed northerly if you can.

[size="1"][ January 15, 2006, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

If I started my own hive would any of the bees that I saw last summer move in or will they just go back to where they came from

Also do hives always swarm?

You move bees from upstate NY all the way down to SC? How do they fair?

>Those bees do not necessarily hive near my yard somewhere they may have travelled a great distance once they discovered my plants correct

They could be a couple of miles away are a few hundred yards.

>I will say to they were gentle bees I could go out and with little effort take what I needed from the garden and they just moved over out of the way to other blossoms

Even an Africanized honey bee that is foraging is gentle. It's when they are defending their home that you find out how gentle they are. [img]smile.gif[/img]

>Here is another question, the book says to face the hives southeast. I have a perfect spot but they would not face southeast is that going to be real problem?

Not at all. It's a nice general rule, all other things being equal. But bees will do well most places if it makes a big difference to you, then put them where it is convenient for you.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Likely not, you should buy a nucleus colony which will consist of 4 or 5 frames of bees, brood and a queen put in your equipment or a package of bees which will come through the mail with about 13,000 bees and a queen in cage to put into your new equipment.

The bees do fine, the trips are pretty hard on me!

>If I started my own hive would any of the bees that I saw last summer move in or will they just go back to where they came from

Unless you have an empty hive with the right smell and size, they will not move in. If you DO have the right size and smell (you can buy swarm lure from the bee suppliers) then next time they swarm, the swarm MIGHT move in, but I wouldn't plan on it. It's like fishing except you only get a bite once a year. [img]smile.gif[/img]

>Also do hives always swarm?

If something doesn't go wrong with the bees plans they swarm every year. It's the beekeepers job to make sure they have the right circumstances where they thrive, but they don't swarm. I try to keep the brood nest opened up so it's expanding at the time the bees think they should be contracting it. It always works if I get it done. [img]smile.gif[/img] If I don't, they swarm.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF