Who knows anything about this wonderful affliction we've been noticing the past couple of years?

[size="1"][ January 14, 2006, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

eh?
    Dulcius ex asperis

:confused: , sorry Joel, need alittle more input on this subject??
    Ted

thanks Dick, I have never heard of that before, thats interesting, who has been seeing signs of this??
    Ted

very interesting joel. you do continue to enlighten us 'evil doers'(patent pending ) and near-do-wells. and thank you dick allen for the link. very curious that a nutritonial/ genetic (actually sounds more like a developmental nutriotional syndrone to me) could be easily confused with a disease complex.

We have not accurately identified it but a friend who runs about 60 and I had noticed a few hives with symptoms that were similar to EFB but were experianced enough to think it was something else. We considered PMS but were pretty convinced it wasn't that. This possibility came to the surface but there seems to be little information about it. Good link Dick, thanks. Being of genetic origin it may become more widespread, especially with the importation of bees from outside the USA. I think the value right now is to monitor, I always like to know what I'm looking at.

Huh. I wonder why the name? Perhaps something to do with the appearance of the brood? Dave Cushman's link to the New Zealand site was borked for me, I've noticed a lot of New Zealand links have changed in what appears to be almost a massive country-wide reorganization. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

In any case, I'm not sure I'd recognize classic EFB let alone HMS which apparently fools the experts.
    Dulcius ex asperis

I have sometimes seen what looks like EFB in my hives. Usually it clears up by itself. It may have been Half-moon syndrome. I honestly donÂ’t think I would have been able to tell the difference:

You can go here and scroll down 5-6 pages for symptoms:

http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/modules....&page=1&title=

For the most part the symptoms listed are the same except for these:

European foulbrood:

Unsealed brood. Patchy brood pattern. Sometimes sealed in advanced cases, perforated, sunken cappings.

Half-moon syndrome:

Patchy brood pattern. Multiple eggs in many cells, eggs attached in chains. In advanced cases, high percentage of drone brood in worker cells.

In Northen Chile we have been suferring for some year of something like EFB, that is not, even after lab testing.

We think is stress, now the problem is what is causing that stress.

In years like today when we have drought ergo no nectar, this problem appears in many colonies.