Smile

Apiguard has now been approved for treatment of Verroa in the USA and Dadant will be distributing it.

Read about it at http://www.vita-europe.com/products/apiguard.htm

Rob Mountain
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

Hi Rob, Doesnt each state have to do paper work for approval? I called Dadant here in Florida and it seems theres a long paper trail to go through before they can start selling it. Take care JJ

Hi everyone, I was just reading the info on the Apigaurd and it seems that theres not much difference between it and The Good Dr. method on using the cords. Sounds like the Thymol in the Apigaurd might be a stronger dose than that in the cords. Take care JJ

JJ

Dadant is taking care of the paper work and Apigaurd should be good to go by the end of spring.

Rob Mountain
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

According to the press release I got, it looks like it has (or soon will) have US EPA approval, but each state must individually approve it as well. I'm assumming that means a section 18 in each state? If that's the case it may take a while to be available in all states. For example, Api Life Var (another thymol treatment) has been available for a few year in some states, but has yet to be approved in Ohio. Or is dadant taking care of the paperwork for each state?

You can read the press release here: http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/25.87.0.0.1.0.phtml

-Tim

We've just finished going thorugh all this with the registration of Mite-AwayII. Section 3 and section 18 are both EPA approvals. A section 18 is at the request of the State, in conjunction with the pesticide company, for an emergency only situation. A section 3 is a full registration at the federal level, which must then go State to State for State registration before the product can be used in that State.

The requirements of the individual States vary a great deal. For example, California requires a full efficacy data package and time to review it - if it isn't proven to work, they won't register it for CA. CA also requires the full environmental impact data. Various other States required follow up of our application regarding PPE, time of application, etc, before registering Mite-AwayII. All States had fees. We just completed the 2006 State registrations for the lower 48 - the total was close to $11,000.00. We had just finished the last one in November for 2005 (the Section 3 for MAII came through March 31-05), and we had to do it all again for 2006 by the end of December. Ouch.

Anyone that takes on bringing a varroa control product through the regulatory channels has my respect. Steve at Brushy Mountain with ApiLife Var, Dadant with Sucrocide and now Apigard (according to previous post), and Betterbee with the formic acid gel are all folks that have made the decision to risk their resources and accept the frustrations that come with registering a pesticide. This is AFTER the development of an effective active ingredient, formulation, delivery technology, environment impact assessments, establishing PPE requirements, documenting shipping and handling laws applicable to the product, shelf life determination, disposal of packaging, registration of production facility (different from product registration) .....

David v
    NOD Apiary Products

Given the treatment period (4-6 weeks) with best results @ 60 degree temps,along with the distribution within in the hive( bees carrying thymol thru out ) doesnt that extend at least into the fruit blossom time here in the northeast ? Perhaps this product should only be used here in the NE in the Fall .
    I want to do everything possible to keep my honey free from anything the bees did not bring in .On the other hand if I were only using my bees for pollination then it wouldnt make any differance ...Rick Alexander
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones