Question

i've had a couple days up in the 50's and at days end there are several bees that decided not to re-enter the hive.

they don't look abnormal (crumpled wings or k-wing) they just "froze" doing whatever they were doing on the ground. it's just that there are quite a few of them.

Depending on how cold it is late in the day there, the bees really may have "frozen," or at least been too cold to keep moving. I would guess they're leaving the hive while the temperatures are nice, then getting caught out in the cold later in the days when the temperatures drop.

That's just normal.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Big Grin

thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

A good diagnosis of a t-mite dead colony, is a very loose scattered dead cluster. Bees infested with t-mites tend not to be able to cluster properly, nor create heat the same as an uneffected colony.

Bees flying out of the enterence is normal, but I have noticed sick colonies continously vacate the hive, leaving a pile of dead just infrount. Not a pritty sight, but follows my theory of only dieing or sick bees will leave the hive on sunny cool winter days.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com