Does anyone know how long an adult varroa mite normally lives? Thanks.

I've never seen this anywhere, but I was thinking about it the other day. They can breed 2-3 times with a short 3-10 day phoretic phase in between, then they die. So mites that are actively breeding probably don't last much more than about 2 months. I'm not sure about in the winter, but I suspect they can live much longer.

George-

[size="1"][ December 23, 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: George Fergusson ][/size]
    Dulcius ex asperis

"Mites in the laboratory have been observed to live for up to 80-100 days while reproducing, but their life expectancy under natural conditions has been estimated at an average of 27 days when A. mellifera brood is present. It must exceed 5-6 months during the winter broodless period."

---'Mites of the Honey Bee'---page 135

Dick Allen's

Sanford (As Reference in 'Mites of the Honey Bee') is considered among professionals as 'The' authority in varroa mites.

I've seen fewer days listed before, but people die young too, its all about environment and nutrition.
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat, that's of course if you're into eating cats.