Cool

I pulled the oil from the bottoms of my Small Hive Beetle traps. I'm hoping to sift through the debris and see what I have. Right now the oil is separated by hives into mason jars. I'm thinking of "washing" in out with soapy water, but not sure of what to filter it through in order to collect any varroa that might be there in addition to the bees, SHB's, bee parts, etc.

Any ideas out there?
    Waya
    WayaCoyote

Do you have a double screen filter? Like the ones from the beekeeping supply places? That would work. Or any fine enough screen. The medical supply places have them to filter kidney stones. I'm guessing they'd be fine enough too.

A really fine cotton cloth (old bedsheets with a realy fine count) would probably work also. How about a womans nylon stocking?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael, I do have some nylon material purchased for honey filtering. I'll give that a go.

My friend does sand filters (he's a sand collector). He wanted to skin my other friend who used the filters to filter potting soil. Now why doesn't everyone know that it contains creosolt in order to give the soil that nice dark color??

Waya
    WayaCoyote

A sand collector? Cool! Why don't I know someone who collects sand?

Personally, I collect insects. I get a lot of weird looks and comments for that. I wonder kind of comments a guy who collects sand gets?

Jon,
    They recently had a reunion of Vietnam Heros. All the guys brought sand from their locals for "Bill." They all reported that they attracted some bazar and inquisitive looks from the security screeners at the airports. But I guess you've had your share of that.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

coffee filters might work also
    May the Great Spirit watch over you as long as the grass grows and the water flows.