I was wondering if one combined the different varroa control methods would the results be additive. For example, has anyone used the combination of varroa tolerant bees, screened bottom boards, small cell, and drone cell trapping. I know that this would not be practical for commercial operations, but have any of you hobby beekeepers used a combination of these methods? Does the small cell only work with feral bees? I plan on starting with only 2 hives. Does anyone see a problem with trying to use a combination of these methods? Thanks for your comments.

I feel that combining biologic control methods is essential to successful integrated pest management. Using resistant bees synergizes with, brood cylce interuption, SBB, drone trapping, SC and other techniques. There is a place for chemical control, but it is not an enduring solution and has inherent costs/risk. Sammatro, Vivian and Morse have all published really good beginner books that read well and were written with people like us in mind (hobbiests).

>I was wondering if one combined the different varroa control methods would the results be additive.

That's what IPM is all about.

>For example, has anyone used the combination of varroa tolerant bees, screened bottom boards, small cell, and drone cell trapping.

Once you get to the small cell you won't need the drone trapping. The screened bottom boards are nice for good ventilation and why wouldn't you want varroa tolerant bees?

>I know that this would not be practical for commercial operations, but have any of you hobby beekeepers used a combination of these methods?

Why wouldn't small cell and screened bottom barods and varroa tolerant bees be practical for commercial operation? Drone trapping, of course, is a bit labor intensive.

>Does the small cell only work with feral bees?

It works very well with any bees I've tried it on. That would include, Italians, Buckfasts, Russians, Carniolans and Ferals.

>I plan on starting with only 2 hives. Does anyone see a problem with trying to use a combination of these methods?

No problem at all.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

A interesting observation has shown up again for the second season in cell sizes being naturally drawn by incomming trapped feral swarms in my New Zealand feral bee project.These shots were taken of a cell size gauge in use that was created and the programme posted to the organics beekeepers list by Machelle.

http://tinyurl.com/cj4u2
    BOB

Hey Bob,
    The 5.0 cells are very uniform. Were these drawn on 4.9 foundation or in foundationless frames?
    Thanx,
    Triangle Bees