Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

October 20, 2005

FDA Approves TYLAN Soluble for the Control of American Foulbrood in Honey Bees

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved TYLAN (tylosin tartrate) Soluble for the control of American foulbrood (Paenibacillus larvae) in honey bees. This is the first approval for the use of TYLAN Soluble in a minor species (honey bees).

TYLAN Soluble, a product of Elanco Animal Health, a division of Eli Lilly and Company, Greenfield, Indiana, is already approved for therapeutic uses in chickens and swine and production uses in turkeys.

TYLAN Soluble is the second approved new animal drug for honey bees that controls American foulbrood (Paenibacillus larvae). FDA reviewed extensive data to ensure the product met all necessary effectiveness, animal health, human food safety, and environmental standards. The approval of this supplemental new animal drug application relied on publicly available safety and effectiveness data contained in Public Master File 5783, which were compiled under the oversight of the National Research Support Project-7 (NSRP-7), a national agricultural research program for obtaining clearances for use of new animal drugs in minor animal species and for special uses. Studies were conducted by USDAÂ’s Bee Research Laboratories. FDA has concluded that the honey derived from honey bees fed tylosin tartrate is safe when the animals are fed according to the approved labeling.

Additional information on this approval may be obtained by contacting Joan C. Gotthardt, D.V.M., Director, Division of Therapeutic Drugs for Food Animals, FDA, Center for Veterinary Medicine, Office of New Animal Drug Evaluation, 7500 Standish Place, HFV-130, Rockville, MD 20855, 301 827-7571; E-mail: jgotthar@cvm.fda.gov.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Just how effective is it??

Is resistance an issue??

I don't think resistance is a issue at this time. TM was good for 40 + years. FB only become resistent after Beekeepers started using (Tera Patties). I have no proof that this caused it only that is when resistsnce started
    Dan

I'm not convinced that Terra Patties caused resistance. Resistance came after packers started importing large volumes of Argentinian honey. Reports of antibiotic resistant AFB came from there earlier on ( not to say that it was not an issue here). What happens to all those drums with2-3 pounds of honey sticking to the sides of the barrel? I know that some of them end up outdoors for the bees to clean up.

Jean-Marc

Has anyone seen labeled dosage/application instructions yet?

>Has anyone seen labeled dosage/application instructions yet?

Try Mann Lake. They (are/will be) selling the stuff.

Resistance is always an issue, and it is more effective than tetracyclines (for the time bein when used in the face of a outbreak).

Mann Lake is not selling TYLAN but hopes to in the future.

There's a lengthy article in the latest Bee Culture about Tylan.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

Hi everyone, I havent bought any of the Tylan yet, was just wondering do you still mix it with sugar and what is the mixture? Thanks Take care JJ

The small bottle treats 500 gallons of syrup. I forgot the weight but it is about the 1/2 the size of a can of pop and that container is about 1/2 full.

Almost forgot....it makes syrup have a bitter taste, but bees still take the syrup. You can always tell when it is present by putting a dropon your finger and licking it....very bitter even at that small a consentration.

Hey, How much tylan to how much syrup and do you treat more than once? Thanks JJ

Residue is much longer than OXytet, so fall treatmetns are a must!!
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

http://www.elancous.com/products/pdf...uble_label.pdf

The maker says mix with sugar and dust 3X. It's not for use before you get the disease.

Dickm

[size="1"][ December 27, 2005, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: dickm ][/size]

Sutton beeman,
    Where did you get the data you posted? Just wondering where the 2 approaches came from.

Dickm

Hi Ian, Yes you are right. I have just talked to a few people about Tylan and you must be very careful. Take care JJ

http://www.albertabeekeepers.org/Art...sinLimits.html
    Quote from above article:
    "What does this mean for honey producers? Is it open season to used tylosin freely? Absolutely not! Having now completed several years of trials looking at residues of tylosin in honey, I can virtually guarantee that if an application is not made according to the current fall-applied recommendations, a producerÂ’s honey will exceed the WRL."

[size="1"][ December 27, 2005, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: loggermike ][/size]

I personnally would not feed tylan in syrup. It is also not agood idea to use it the spring it builds up way faster than terramycin and is hard to get rid of unlike terramycin. So use sparingly and be careful

>>>I personnally would not feed tylan in syrup.<<

Not to mention that it seems to be against the law!

Dickm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast