Here are some pictures of damaged mites from my varroa resistant bee project here in New Zealand, now in year four.Have taken these down the scope of a vintage Watson Barnet microscope with a improvised light source.Go to the site,select album then click my photos. Click once on first image to enlarge.Use next or slide show to view.If there is any interest I will add more pictures of the horrific damage the bees inflict on the mites and attempt to improve on the images.This should work now thanks to the advice from Barry.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/russel...bum?.dir=/9b61

Bob Russell
    Commercial Beekeeper
    New Zealand.
    BOB

cant get to the picture bob it asked for ID and password
    Ted

Same here, Need Id and pw
    Sounds like cool pictures though
    Todd Zeiner

TWT & Todd
    Thanks Todd for the private message alerting me together with your email address.Album has been sent inviting you to view at eseePhoto and Kodak ofoto.Any other sugestions on how to link photos to beesource welcome.
    Bob.
    BOB

Thanks Barry for the advice.The varroa mite damage photos have been transfered to Yahoo photo and now viewable.Click on updated site address at opening message.
    BOB

I may be the only one, but I still can not access the picures that you have posted.
    Kurt

BOB,

You can go to your Album and click on “Edit Album Info” from there click on “Edit Setting” and select Public, this way everyone will be able to see it.

Regards,

e.g http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cn448/.../ph//my_photos

Forestbee
    Have edited the address again,had set it to public and saved,please let me know if it still does not work.Do appreciate the advice, so one can get it correct.
    BOB

Great pics Bob!! It was worth the wait.
    They are a creepy site,
    Todd Zeiner

THANKS for the great pics Bob. I'm interested in your research results. What race of bees? Was any mite treatment being used?
    Triangle Bees

Now I can get to them. Nice pictures!
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

In reply to triangle Bees
    The bees that I have selected from could be said to be the run of the mill common bees.These will be decendants of the first recorded imports of the European (Black race)first recorded imports to the North Island 1839.First imports of the Italians (yellow race)nearly 40 years later in 1880.In between those years their are records of Carniolan.Cyprian,HolyLand and Swiss Alpine.No imports of live bees have been permitted to New Zealand since the 1950's.However starting last year imports of semen only meeting required specifications have been allowed and one notable Queen breeder has the Carniolan avail for release (pure) about now (2005).What I have found to date is that the darker strains are showing the most resistance.This has been the first year with out treatment in the spring/summer with a couple of exceptions.One of my test methods does use an approved chemical outside the hive on live bees.These bees are not returned to the hive(s) under test as it's paramount that no residue is allowed to enter the hive.The bee damaged varroa mites at the Yahoo site are from resistant hives with no treatment via a screen onto the drop board at 12 hour intervals.I do other cross checks to follow up the results.I discontinued natural drop tests with resistant bees last year after observations of damaged mites and I am currently revisiting this area.I am only using the drop test on hives that have been selected as the most resistant together with exceptional honey production that will become the current season breeders.To become breeders they have to have two consecative seasons of exceptional honey production and the resistance I have found to mirror the previous season on those that have not been superseded.I have no fare anymore of loosing any of the best queens as the daughters are showing to be superior.There are exceptions with the laws of inheritance,these stand out and can be requeened to eliminate unwanted drones.Others in our country are now working on resistant bees.I hope that answers your questions as I have not made any publication in our country and in two minds as to when to do this.I have given eggs,2 day old cells and queens to other beekepers and I am very pleased with their findings and reports over the past 2 years.Feral hives and swarms from them (ferals) are also being monitored.
    BOB

I'm breeding from the darker ferals and they seem to do well all the way around.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF