Thread: AFB

What would AFB smell like? Since no one uses hide glue any more I cant seem to find a good comparison.

I've always heard it smells putrid. Like something dead.

Tim:

Mike's right. If you ever smell a hive that makes you think a cat crawled in and died, check it quick. If you have a nose you can smell it walking by. When the top is lifted off the hive the stench is enough to make you sick (knowing that you have AFB)

Pull some brood frames and you'll see dead larvae in uncapped cells. They will look as if they just rotted in place and became puddles of pus. Stick one with a twig and the stuff is stringy. Don't touch it.

The moment you smell the stuff go into your biosecurity mode. Remember that any tools, gloves, equipment used on that hive should be disinfected thoroughly before they are used again on other hives.

I am told that commercial beekeepers treat for the disease.
    Ox

If you are of the "chemical" philosophy you use Terramycin as a preventative. Some use it once a year and some twice a year. Only when the supers are NOT on. The best luck seems to be in patties, but dusting is also common and back when I started, in syrup was the common method, but now is not considered so good because the TM breaks down quickly in syrup.

If you GET AFB what you do is somtimes a matter of choice and sometimes determined by law. Some states require you to burn the hive, bees, and all. Some require you to burn the hive but you can shake the bees off, treat them and put them into different equpiment. Some let you treat with Terramycin.