Question

Greetings . . .

Apistan package instructions states:
    "Use 1 strip for each 5 COMBS OF BEES in EACH BROOD CHAMBER."
    "Hang strips within 2 combs of edge of bee CLUSTER."
    "If 2 deep supers are used for BROOD NEST, hang in alternate corners of CLUSTER, in top AND bottom super."
    "Use when daytime high temperatures are at least 50 degrees."
    "Treat during non-foraging periods"

Questions:
    1) How many strips do I use if my bees are in 3 deeps? Six?
    2) If using excluder on bottom chamber (brood nest) and 2 deep supers above (for winter stores), how many strips do I use in this colony? Two?
    3) Do you apply only when bees are in CLUSTER? Why use when 50 degrees?

Please help!

thanx,
    Dave W

I would really just go with no more than 4. You may have 3 deeps as a brood chamber, but do you actually have three boxes with brood. At this time of the year they will be cutting back on brood production and filling in the brood frames with honey. Do an inspection and treat as directed. I have always figured they were talking about for each 5 frames in the brood area. If they were not implying this, I would think they would just say "so many strips for each box." Why mention "brood" when no honey supers are to on the hive anyways during treatment.

And then there is the term "cluster". Are they actually thinking we should wait until we see the traditional clustering that happens at the end of summer with the onset of cold weather? Bad directions thats for sure. Use when your sure all the honey your taking is removed. Which should be about now.

I also would not be using that excluder during the winter. Whats on the hive is either for them or its not. If you have three deeps, remove the supers and let them pack in the honey on the 3 deeps for any remaining days. This will be enough.

Smile

Greetings BjornBee,

What you say makes sense.

I do have 3 deep chambers, but only brood in one (maybe 1/2 bottom, 1/2 middle).

I thought as part of FALL management, the queen should be restricted to the bottom chamber to encourage filling of the chambers above w/ honey. (Excluder to be removed during WINTER prep.)

thanx
    Dave W