Question

Hi, I'm a new beekeeper, have 2 hives. 1 hive is very strong, and doing good. The other is very weak, and has wax moth. Should I rob a few frames from the strong, or start over with new frames? We brought these hives from other bee keeper. Thanks for your advise.

You can spray the frames with Certan. It will kill the wax moth larvae and not harm the bees or the quality of the honey.

The certan will help kill the moths. I would not put more frames in the weak hive, they already can't defend what they have. I would try to figure out the cause of them being weak. Is the queen failing? Are predators, like skunks, eating the bees? Is there a decided lack of ventilation? Is the brood healthy? Is it spotty? There must be some reason for the hive being weak.

Thank you both for your help. I will look for some Certan.

Micheal, Where is Greenwood, Ne? We also live in Stromsburg, Ne.

Susan

>Thank you both for your help. I will look for some Certan.
    http://www.beeworks.com/uspage5.asp it's listed as "Wax Moth Control" but this is Certan. I don't know of any other supplier, but if someone does, let me know.

>Micheal, Where is Greenwood, Ne? We also live in Stromsburg, Ne.

Also? As in "you live in Springfield, California and also Nebraska"? I'm about 90 miles from Stromburg. I live between Omaha and Lincoln, just South of Greenwood, just North of Eagle, just East of Waverly and Just West of Alvo.

An easy drive if you wish to come from Stromburg and visit sometime.

Cool

Michael,
    Yes the Queen was failing, had problem with ants etc. Looks like the hive with be ok, I'm babying them right now, but will get some Certan ordered.Next time we are in Ne, at a reasonable time will let you know, would like to see your bees and meet you. We are truck drivers run thru there alot, and 2 daughters live in Lincoln.
    Thanks again for your help.

A neat trick when you have a weak hive sitting next to a strong hive is to simply swap hive locations. Doing this towards evening perhaps within 1-2 hours before dark will limit confusion going into night. As bees return, some confusion will happen but alot of hives, especially weak ones who are not defending that well anyways, will be overrun or just let the returning field bees into the hive. Of course they are full with the days bounty and help build up the weak hive.

I actually like this as to maybe swapping frames that can pass on deseases and then sometimes the comb does not match up and this creates problems. I have swapped alot of frames, don't get me wrong, but if you have side by side hives, just swap the hive locations.