Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: test for mites

what is the cheapest yet most acurate test for mites? I am thinking about just testing and not treating unless I need to and save BIG money supid or smartidea?

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

I do the sticky board test to count the natural fall of varroa mites. It is cheap and easy to perform, especially if you are using screened bottom boards. And it is pretty accurate.

HT

It's a good idea not to treat if you don't have mites, or the levels are low. The misuse of the chemicals uses for mite control is what had led to some resistance to them. Leaving them in to long, or using them when you don't have to. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I sprayed the dry Oxamite strips with little bit water to keep them moist and place them between the brood. It’s better than any other mite test I made before.
    If the bees are infected with Varroa you will find the first dead mites on the sticky board after a few days. Even with a negative sugar roll test it dos not mean your colonies are Varroa free. Good thing, there is no resistant to this natural acid possible.

I agree a negative test doesn't mean there aren't any mites. But it means there aren't very many. A drop test is the simplest. A sugar roll test from bees in the brood nest is probably more accurate. The oxalic acid strips might work well, but you are supposed to have the supers off when you do it according the rules I've seen where it has been approved.

what is the sugar roll test?

how do you get 300 bees into a jar

I put a white painted board under the broodnest,leave it for a couple of days, and count the mites falling out. It's not particularly accurate, but its a rough guide.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

most places sell sticky boards, can I use these without a screaned bottom board?

An inch of bees in the bottem of a pint jar is about 300 bees. I like the sticky board as the most reliable indicator of mite load. My yards are usually in trouble if they are getting more than 20/day on a natural mite fall at the end of summer. The problem with sticky boards is that they require a second trip to the yard. This means we use the ether roll in most of our yards. Sticky boards are limited to the ones close to home.

Lightbulb

Greetings Swarm Trapper

You can use sticky boards without a SBB. You just have to put a kind of screening on top of it to allow the bees to walk on it and not stay glued on the sticky board. The ones I saw where sold with the sticky boards and were made of plastic. You then just slide it under the brood chamber for a few days, take it back and count the mites to find the dayly rate of dropping of the varroa mites.

HT

[This message has been edited by abeille (edited August 02, 2003).]

A large funnel is probably helpful. You could make one out of a plastic bottle with a mouth that is an inch and a half to two inces in diameter and cut the bottle off at about six inches. If you shake the bees off into a box and then dump them into the jar it's not too hard. I prefer the drop method. It's less stress on everyone.

this is a way a Commercial beekeeper told me he test for mites.although I've never tried it.
    Smoke the bee real good,& he said good, take a brood frame that don't have alot of brood in it.(he said about the 3rd from center.)
    Brush the bee's off- replace the top back on the hive- then hold the frame horizontally & slam it on the lid about 3 times.
    If the lid is white most of them is.then you can see the mite's.
    I was told that was better way than the roll test,But as I've said I've never tried it.

The nice thing about the sugar roll is it makes the mites let go.

I've yet to detect a mite with the sugar roll. I'm sure this a problem with my execution but it doesn't work for me.

we just run the jar across the frame and scoop the bees into the jar when gathering bees for the ether roll. If they are a little runny, just set the frame down for a minute and the bees will cluster up.

does the ethier roll need 300 bees to?and does the sugar roll hurt the bees?

Heres another method:

BEE WASH: Collect 300 bee from brood nest, place in jar of soapy water, shake for 1 minute then pour bees into a double sieve. Wash over bees w/ fresh water. Top filter will catch the bees and bottom filter (use coffee filter) will catch the mites. Count mites, 15 necessitates treatment.
    SOURCE: 2003 Brushy Mt Catalog, p 38

Heres another method:

BEE WASH: Collect 300 bee from brood nest, place in jar of soapy water, shake for 1 minute then pour bees into a double sieve. Wash over bees w/ fresh water. Top filter will catch the bees and bottom filter (use coffee filter) will catch the mites. Count mites, 15 necessitates treatment.
    SOURCE: 2003 Brushy Mt Catalog, p 38

Hi Dave,

you have to do it twice?

Hugo