Sad

The state inspector came yesterday, and confirmed my diagnosis. I had two of five hives that had AFB. One not as highly overun as the other. In the one not so bad he took out the infected frames, which were only two of them, and not much AFB, and replaced them with new foundation, and treated with TM. The one that I thought had it was much worse, and in the time that I posted my last message had began to smell. We shook off the bees onto new foundation, and new equipment, and burned the rest which was twenty frames and comb, a super with frames and comb, and a hive body. He let me keep one super, and a deep which was new, and I scorched them. That hive we also treated with TM, and fed heavily.

He took some of the worst frames to send to the USDA for tests for resistance to TM, and will let me know when the results come back. I also have to treat with TM for the next five years spring and fall.

Hopefully I can control this situation. In the two years I have kept bees I feel like I have seen it all, but I know there is more to come.

I hope I never have to go through what you are going through. You have my sympathy.

I to have hives that have AFB. The state inspector came Monday and I have 3 hives that have it. All three are nukes made in May. All three came from the same person. The inspector is going to contact the other person. Next week (Monday) he going to gas the hives. It's bad enough to kill the bees,but I have 5 supers of pc on these hives. Sometime within the next month I will take the equipement to Raleigh to be fumigated. I won't be able to save all the equipement, but I can most of it. The other3 hives are in good condition. Too bad we sometimes get other peoples problems.

I have more bad news. I helped a friend get into beekeeping this spring. I bought a package, put it on some drawn comb and foundation, and sold it to him. He bought new equipment, foundation and went from there. Being a newby I didn't realize that I was giving him comb with the spores in it. Well, I went out with him today to look at his bees, and the frames that I started his package from had a small amount of foulbrood in it. All of the other frames looked good, and his hive was strong. We took the ones out that had FB and burned them.

Is it a law that you report any FB findings to the state, or can you just burn the suspect frames, and or hives without reporting it?

Just to be on the safe side, I would report it to the inspector. You don't want to continue to propogate a nasty disease like that if you can help it. I am sorry to hear about it.

The laws are different in each state. Here in Nebraska the law says I am required to treat with TM but I would not be required to report it. In fact, since there is no bee inspector, there is no one to report it to.