Thread: Roaches

Question

Ok, so i just checked my hives a while ago at night to see how they were doing and noticed something kind of peculiar. I saw roaches here and there and wondered if i should be concerned...and if i should be concerned, how should i go about exterminating the little bugers?! Any thoughts would be helpful.
    ps. my hives are located on the edge of a wooded area in southern nc.

Is the hive strong? The bees should run the roaches out. If they are not running them out I'd look for things that are making the hive weak or stressed.

Her in the south ,I've noticed roaches in hive's mostly if you use inner cover's,But never alot in 1 hive It is usely odd not to see a few & they have never been a problem.

At a workshop here in Ct the demonstrater pointed out a brown beetle looking thing and asked if anyone knew what it was. He said he'd been seeing them on occasion. One of the observers chimened in with assurance that it was a "German Roach!" Does anyone know more? I dislike even the idea.I surely don't want to bring them home.

Dickm

The german cockroach is the most common cockroach in North America. If you've ever seen a roach infested building you've seen them. I have seen them under the inner cover in a strong hive. I've seen them on the bottom board in a weak one. They LOVE sugar.

I have NOT seen them running around on the combs inside the hive.